Find
Notify
Tools

Message for Frans
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
I just finished the article on Biathlon rifles in the latest issue of Canadian Firearms Journal. It was a very enjoyable and informative read, and when I had finished I turned back to the start to see who had written it. Lo and behold, it was AR regular Frans Diepstraten!

I found the description of the Anshutz-Fortner action particularily intriguing. I have some difficulty visualizing how the grip is maintained while the thumb and forefinger is used to work the bolt. As I imagine it, the lower three fingers remain wrapped around the grip, while the trigger finger and thumb come outside of the grip to work the bolt with a wrist flick.

Is this about right?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
I just finished the article on Biathlon rifles in the latest issue of Canadian Firearms Journal. It was a very enjoyable and informative read, and when I had finished I turned back to the start to see who had written it. Lo and behold, it was AR regular Frans Diepstraten!

v=A7_TID07DBo&NR=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7_TID07DBo&NR=1[/URL]
I found the description of the Anshutz-Fortner action particularily intriguing. I have some difficulty visualizing how the grip is maintained while the thumb and forefinger is used to work the bolt. As I imagine it, the lower three fingers remain wrapped around the grip, while the trigger finger and thumb come outside of the grip to work the bolt with a wrist flick.

Is this about right?

See the biathlon shooting technique at 0:22 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Pretty slick! Smiler

Anyways, thanks for the article, Frans, and thanks for the instructive video clip, Slug.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, Wooly!

Whenever I lie beside one of our team members, who used to race for Switzerland, and almost made it to the German team, I feel so inadequate... I just hear the quick click-click of the straight-pull and his next shot, and I'm barely done pulling the bolt back on my old regular bolt-action Anschutz (borrowed from the club).

The Izhmash is somewhere in Questar's import process, and they are not making haste :-(
Can't wait to give that gun a try.

Cheers!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote