New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest compact .40 or .45
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently carry an Officers .45 acp for CW gun. I am small in stature 5'6" and 155lbs. Getting older and also had a bad auto accident that really inhibits carrying much weight for long. And lately it seems that my Colt Officers Model .45 weighs a ton at the end of the day. I stopped carrying it on occasion because of it and now am looking to replace it with something lighter and compact. I am mostly looking at .45's but will accept a decent .40. I have a couple of 9mm and am not a fan of them for self defense. I was a little involved in the trials the military had when I was on the AF Marksmanship team and was not impressed with the results. Nuf said.

So, what I am asking is for feed back on any of the models out there that you guys may be using. Light weight is probably my biggest concern.

Thank you in advance.
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sig 239 in 40, Glock 27 (27oz loaded). There are others but I trust these two. BTW, I als0 carry an OM, best pistol I own. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Springfield XD (in 40) has a short barrelled version. Very small and handy.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked the Glocks but I just can't seem to like them. Really not sure what it is but I guess I think they are ugly.
I have been looking at the XD and would like to know what kind of accuracy guys are getting.

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a KHAR arms p9 that only weighs 16 oz. I have tested it a lot and have had no failers. I hope the same can be said for the new KAHR .45 I think it's still under 20 oz.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oboy do you open a door wide open
kahrs come in 40 but the grip angle is a bit weird for some shooters, especially if you're used to a 1911
star PD or firestar
springfield XD's - nice but a bit clumsy if you like plastic guns
K-tel - cheap but very small
glucks - (boy do i love plastic guns moon
S&W sigmas (boo) or the M&P which has really good ratings
etc etc. or there are still the old colt detectives and J frame smiths
I really don't have any particular favorites, because I use several different guns depending on how i am dressed at the time.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're a big bore fan, and might consider a revolver, have a look at the Taurus totally titanium 45 Colt snubby. My ammo weighs more than the handgun!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Taurus Millennium Pro in .40, and I like it a lot (18 Oz and 10+1 capacity). It also comes in .45, but that model is a few oz heavier. The price for either is very good as well.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I may look at the KHAR and try it for feel.
butchloc, I have a Kel-Tec that I carry when dressed lightly and it is the lightest, most compact gun I have. Good little gun for the value. And I have never had a jam with it. I also have a S&W J-frame .38. I guess I am wanting to stay away from revolvers due to the width. I am just looking for something light and 40 up in caliber.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Maby try out a H&K usp .40 compact,,I have a full size,,and it's lighter than my 1911,,and,deadly accurate. I feel the same way about 9mm as you do,,not impressed,,why stop there? go carry something in .22 short,,or .25 acp,,Good luck,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Fred here. The SigP239 in 40 S&W is as good as it gets for concealed carry. I have a 40 cal glock as well, but always find myself reaching for the Sig. It has a single stack mag as opposed to the glock's double stack mag, thus has a considerably thinner grip. Because of this, it is much easier to conceal in warm weather. I can effectively conceal mine with an IWB holster and tee shirt.