Find
Notify
Tools

BD loads for Ruger 38-40?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Anyone have any tried and true medium velocity loads for 200 grain ullets from the .38-40 Ruger Blackhawk? (or any other revolving pistola?)

Please, please, please share if you do......would really like to get something which works well in the 750-850 fps range and have a LOT of Blue Dot sitting around.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Edmond-

I read the whole thing, but I won't try Mr. Taffin's loads in MY Ruger Blackhawk. 13.5 grs Bluedot and 200 gr. bullets? No WAY!! Not in this gun. Mine freezes the extractor and requires a hammer to remove the brass at 8.5 grs of Bluedot and 200 gr. bullets!!

Gues I may just have to start WAY low, and work up to where I can get a low velocity, but still get the brass out with reasonable means.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with Blue Dot but 7 grs of Unique does the trick in my Ruger Old Model conversion. About 800 fps or so.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Can't help you with Blue Dot but 7 grs of Unique does the trick in my Ruger Old Model conversion. About 800 fps or so.

Thanks a lot! I've got Unique on hand too. That sounds like just 'bout zactly what I want.

Picture of RustyNut
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .38-40 but if you want 700fps try some Trailboss. I use it in a .45 Colt and it works great.

Posts: 24 | Location: MN | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote