New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does the .40 stack up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As far as stopping power is concerned. I haven't kept up but it's been out long enough to have acquired a reputation, good or bad.
Which is it ??

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
In it's short [15 year life] it's become widely accepted by law enforcement and civilians .I've used one for almost that long.Designed to fit in the same frame as the 9mm ,it's now available in almost every gun that is available in 9mm. I've used it on many woodchucks and feral dogs and it's my carry gun .I've found no difference between the 40 and 45 and both perform better than the 9mm. Accurate,reliable,excellent performance , it has everything you need. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i kinda like the 40, its what I think a 9mm should be

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend tried his 40 on a bear at 30 yards, he's an excellent shooter but he missed 13 times with his S&W,he wants to unload it so I suggested a 45lc Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch barrel since I have one and another friend bought a blackhawk 45lc with a 4 5/8 inch barrel finished off a wounded cow elk in the head at 65 yards using buffalo bore ammo with 300gr speer bullet @1300fps.

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
I'm more of a 45 man,but I've owned about (5) 40's.I like them.A G27 was about the most accurate auto I've owned and that's including a G35.If I had to give up my 45's,I'd pick a 357Sig,but after that it'd be a 40.The 40 has plenty of performance,capacity,and accuracy.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat I would not worry about "stopping power" The 40 is used by many law enforcement agencies and seems to be a good compromise between the 9mm and the 45. I have several 40s and like them a lot. I don't have any sales numbers to back this up, but I suspect that the 40 will soon exceed the 9mm in sales.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I doubt the .40s&w ever exceeds the 9mm in sales. The 9mm is a Nato/military round & still used by many LEA. I like the .40s$w though. More rounds than a .45acp, better penetration & hits about as hard on both ends. I think I'll always be a .45acp guy but I do own & shoot a couple .40s&w. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote