New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 9mm pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what are some of the more accurate 9mm pistols out there?

i recently bought a taurus 24/7 pro 9mm and im not really happy with the accuracy, anybody else have this gun, and if so what are your thoughts about it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an older S&W 6906; very accurate. My only complaint was the trigger; waaaay too long of a pull for the first shot (DA mode), but after that it was great. I don't know how the new ones are, but they're worth checking out.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my sti trojan is a tack driver. Many loads will shoot into an inch at 25 yards

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I don't own any 9mm but a friend shot his CZ SP01 at the range the other day and was putting them all in the bullseye. I was very impressed with the out-of-the-box accuracy of that pistol.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&W 952 PC's are supposed to be extremely accurate. Othwerwise it is probably the luck of the draw. I am not familiar with the CZ SP01. The S&W is target level acccuracy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though no longer made -SIG 210, HK P7. In production HK USP ,HKP2000 . Of course others can be accurized.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sig226, one of the best. BHP are also good.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have only owned one 9mm pistol. its a springfield armory xd. Wonderful gun and very accurate.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 952 is the best, but it is a copy of the old 52 which was made for 10 ring. it is also expensive and a bit large for a 9. my 2nd best has been my old favorite anyway - browning HP (trickup up a bit)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much you are willing to spend. For a factory out of the box 9mm pistol I would first pick up either a Heckler Koch Expert or Elite, both will give you what you are looking for in the accuracy dept. but for a price. As mention earlier the HK P7 is one of the most accurate pistols I own, it has a fixed barrel that is pressed into the frame and is very compact.
However my favorite is my Sig 210 it is built like a swiss watch (all metal - no plastic of todays guns)It will connect all the dots so to speak at the 25 yd mark with several different loads.

One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
It is true, to some extent, that you need to know what you are willing to spend in order to give an accurate response to your question. However, there are some pistols that are reasonably accurate and are also reasonably priced.

Low end pricing
Taurus PT-92/99 Pistols are well made, accurate and I have never had a stoppage while firing this series of pistol.

Ruger P89 are very well made, but ugly, pistols which are great shooters for the money.

Although I haven't had much experience with them, CZ clones can be good shooters, but you never know which type you'll get.

Mid Priced

Beretta 9mm are good, in my opinion not better than the Taurus model though they cost more.

Glock pistols are good solid pistols, with reasonable accuracy. I never got used to sighting down an aircraft carrier deck when shooting them, and they don't feel "right" to me.

I've never been a real fan of S&W semi autos, they are okay, but thats about it. The Sigma is a POS clone of a Glock, but I have to say the Sigma feels better in my hand.

Higher end:
Sig Sauer P series (226, 228, 229) Are excellent pistols, good triggers, great accuracy, and never had any type of problem with any of my Sigs. But, they are not cheap.

Para Ordnance Pistols are excellent as well.
Find one or two that you like, and that feel good to you, see if you can find someone to let you shoot a coupld of mags through similar pistols and see how you like them. Then make your choice of the pistol that you like, and that shoots accurately.

Don't settle for the first one you find, or the cheapest. Do some shopping around. 2020

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i owned a taurus that had good accuracy and not a high price tag

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are your requirements for "accurate" ???

In a 9mm carry gun for defense -- which will probably have a double-action trigger in one form or another -- I'm happy with being able to hit a pie plate (9" dia.) at about 25 feet.

Otherwise I'm looking at a "target pistol" which is a whole other ball game.

In 9mm I have a Kahr MK9 Elite, and an Uzi Baby Eagle compact, also a couple Uzi Mod 45's but they don't really count as "carry guns."

The Eagle and Elite both hit the pie plate at 25 feet, and are actually quite more accurate than that "outside spec."

I think a lot of "accuracy issues" with semi-autos, particularly carry guns, are in the trigger and trigger pull. Doesn't take much to move a 4" bbl WAY off target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Taurus 99 9mm. It never jams and is fairly accurate but the trigger pull in single and double action is not near as good as the Beretta. The Beretta is better made but in my opinion shoots no better than the Taurus!. I now cast 140 grain bullets from a saeco mould and it shoots better. No gas check either I like the Taurus it never jams. The best part is I paid$329 for it new about 5 years ago.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried a Belgian Browning Hi Power for many years. It was a tack driver.

I was a guest of a friend in El Salvador last year and had the pleasure of running his pistol club's urban survival course a couple of times. They loaned me a Beretta Brigadier. I made a couple of 75 yard shots at a steel silhouette knockdown target and had never fired the gun before that day. I was tremenously impressed with this pistol's accuracy and shootability. Will be buying one shortly.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Rabbit Creek
posted Hide Post
The S&W 952 in either 5 or 6 inch configuration (hmm, should I shut up lest I drive the prices even higher?) will cloverleaf at 50 yds with match ammo.

Posts: 29 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does make a difference what you are looking for and what your price range is.

Most really accurate guns are match guns and will have a tighter chamber and lock up. If you know this and deal with it in advance its not an issue, although it can be a problem with factory ammo with its rather wide QC range- one lot will work fine, the next won't.

As to the guns, the most accurate 9mm I have is a custom 1911 job that will hold sub-1" at 50 yards, but I can only do that from a rest. I did have to spend over $3K for that one.

The SIG 210 is probably the best as a out of box gun, but its hard to find and pricey.

After that, its my experience for good accuracy (to me capable of under 2" at 50 yards for 5 shots) its hit-or-miss for any reputable make. HK and SIG have a bit higher percentage, Taurus and Kahr a bit lower, but each gun is individual.

Good luck finding what you like!

Posts: 10684 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, it depends on what you are using it for. Out of the box no tricks, my CZ SP01 is unbeatable. For more $$ a Glock 34 or 17L accurate enough for some competitors to shoot, as is the aforementioned SP01.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i own too many 9mm pistols. my favorite all around is a sig p226. however, it is hard to beat a beretta 92 for something accurate that is affordable. a friend has a double action only 92 in 9mm and it is just crazy accurate. h&k products are too big for my hands. i think the cz 75 is about the best all-around "combat" 9mm made. for target shooting and looking over your shoulder, i would go with a 226. i just bought one of those imported p6 single stack sigs and it is great. for the money it can't be beaten. i have a glock 17 but don't really use it. i have a compact glock in 10mm that i shoot a lot. the 17 just feels wrong. i like a heavy 9mm, hence my preference for the cz. would really like to shoot a 210 sig, but have never even seen one. the smith and wesson 9mm revolver is more than worthwhile. don't like the recoil impulse, but shoots well. order yourself a P6 from aim surplus and you will be very happy.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Browning Hi-Power, even though I no longer own one. They just don't work for my wide hands. Frowner

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
This may be a silly question, but do the Beretta 92F and the Tarus clones accept the same magazines?

Thanks!

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
This may be a silly question, but do the Beretta 92F and the Tarus clones accept the same magazines?

Nah, not a silly question.

I was told that the mags don't interchange mainly because the location of the magazine release slots are different between the Taurus and the Beretta. Whether that's true or not, it stuck with me.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Beretta 92.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I amnot an expert and have not shot many of the pistols mentioned. I have a CZ75 that I use at times for Practical Pistol, and it is a fine piece. 2020

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'v, always considered the 9 a carry gun not a target pistol but some are amazingly accurate. I've found the S&W 6906,H&K p7m8 or 13, Tarus 92, sig 228 all really accurate pistols but my favorite is the p-35.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIG 210 and S&W 952 will be the best out of box but full custom price.

I own or have owned:

H&K USP 9, P7 M8
Colt - Many
S&W - Many
Glock - Many
Sig - 226

I have fired - just about everything.

USP 9 is the best of the lot that I can tell.

It is more accurate than I can shoot at 25 yards. ALWAYS works with any ammo. Fast and easy to clean, magazines are durable and cheap to buy.

Th USP Elite in 9mm would be the ticket if you can find one.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
i just bought one of those imported p6 single stack sigs and it is great.

I just purchased one and paid a little extra for what turned out to be a grade *excellent* pistol for being 28 years old. It is a medium sized single stack pistol [perfect since I live in the People Republic of Kalifornia]. Awesome for only $300 with two mags and a heavy duty holster.......oh yeah, I fire two clips [16 rounds] at 15 yards that all went into the 3 inch center of the target. Fine for my purposes...

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta 92 and a SIG 226. They are both accurate enough to compete for bullseye pistol matches. Neither one has had anything done other than shooting them.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
I amnot an expert and have not shot many of the pistols mentioned. I have a CZ75 that I use at times for Practical Pistol, and it is a fine piece. 2020

+1 for the CZ-75B Wink

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Sig P226, Berretta 92, and Browning Hi-Power. All great for accuracy. My Browning doesn't like some hollow points, but the other 2 will shoot anything.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
How the pistol feels in your hand and 'fits' your grip and style is likely a good predictor of accuracy among quality makers such as HK, Sig, Beretta, Glock, Springfield, S&W, Walther, Browning.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIG 210-6, BROWNING GP COMPETITION, S&W 952. P7 IS A GAS GUN, FORGET LEAD BULLETS. WELL, YOU SAID ACCURATE!!!

Posts: 54 | Location: georgia | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, I have used the same magazines in Beretta, Taurus and Vector. I have used unmodified Ciener magazines in conversions I modified for various Beretta, Taurus and Vector pistols.
Pachmayr makes quality stainless steel magazines that works in any of these pistols including the variations with heel located mag release or the side release.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIG 210, all others are far behind,

a Sig 210 long slide match has the edge as out of the box,

others can get there but not just like that.

The austrian Phalanx 9x19 might equal the 210 however they cost more than 3 000 Eur or about 3200 USD, pricey yes, god yes.

The Sigs "Neuhausen" is no longer in production and the good ones are being wacumed up for the really good shooters in Europe, the new Sig target six or similar is decent too.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

I own or have owned:

H&K USP 9, P7 M8
Colt - Many
S&W - Many
Glock - Many
Sig - 226

It is more accurate than I can shoot at 25 yards. ALWAYS works with any ammo. Fast and easy to clean, magazines are durable and cheap to buy.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I had both a 210-6 and a P88 that shot Lights Out with all types of ammo back in the late 80's ans still kick myself for selling them!!! CRYBABY

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gilk:
what are some of the more accurate 9mm pistols out there?

i recently bought a taurus 24/7 pro 9mm and im not really happy with the accuracy, anybody else have this gun, and if so what are your thoughts about it?

I have a Taurus Milennium Pro in .45ACP essentially the same as your pistol, but just a little larger. It shoots very well. No match for my Gold Cup, but pretty good.

I think, from hearing about others' experiences with Tauruses (Tauri?) that getting a good, tight pistol right out of the box is pretty much a gamble, but the experience with my gun makes me think that a decent gunsmith would be able to tune up your gun.

An honest 'smith will tell you if a tuneup is practical and worth the trouble. There should be no reason to accept less than adequate accuracy. I figure if any automatic cannot group any better than twice what my best target pistol can do at the same distance (in slow fire, from a rest, under ideal conditions) there is something wrong that should be fixed.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Especially this post.

Good shooting!

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since my last post I have added a Sig p226 and
Sig p6 as well as Beretta Mini Cougar all in 9mm and they all shot very well with the p226 maybe being the best. I just laid away a S&W M&P 9c so I will be seeing how it stacks up.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning HP with adjustable sights, yes they are single action, but great triggers and very accurate. The only ones I don't like are Glocks. The Sigs are nice and the Berettas , as well .I have not shot the HK but it seems to get great reviews.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if memory is correct... long slide is 210-5. mine was 210-6. the browning gp- competition is half the price but excellent. i had three of those.

Posts: 54 | Location: georgia | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i will agree and disagree. there two fine pistols but have a slight downfall. Reliability. I owned a 952 and reliability with reloads was not exceptable. there a precisely made gun and will not allow for any even minute problem with ammo. I even had problems with cheap commercial ammo. Ive got a buddy who shoots a 210 and runs into the same thing. i sold my 952 because of this and bought a sti trojan in 9 and out of the box it had just as good of a trigger, ran everything i put through it and outshot the 952 in accuracy to boot. The gun i had before the 952
was a para 18 and it was a good gun too. Much more reliable then the smith and just as accurate but not up to the sti in either catagory. bottom line when ive seen a 9mm in competition most of the time its a 1911. Even the ones that dont shoot out of the box can be made to. Other then that you see a sprinkling of sig 210s and 952s. Mostly you see them in the hands of someone who pulled up in an escalade and can afford to buy ammo but ive yet to see a trophy won with one. There kind a gun without a place. There not quite accuarte enough or built for bullseye shooting and not reliable enough (at least the smith) for the law enforcement type action shoots.
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

I own or have owned:

H&K USP 9, P7 M8
Colt - Many
S&W - Many
Glock - Many
Sig - 226

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote