New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 63 3" .22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone purchased one of the new S&W Model 63 3" .22's. (all steel model) I am considering buying one, your opinions would be appreciated. They are pretty expensive for a .22, are they worth it? Thanks JBOK

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for the wife, 30 years ago in a 4 inch. She love's it.

Had to take a few coils of the hammer sping, double action was a bit much!!!!

J frames are great if you have small to med. hands.

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I jumped, and order one, should be here this week. I had an old Model 63 like you are talking about about 25 years ago, wish I still had it. I have noticed that some of the new model 63's didn't lock up that tight when cocked. Either way I should have one to try again, thanks for your reply. JB

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timber ape:
I bought one for the wife, 30 years ago in a 4 inch. She love's it.

Had to take a few coils of the hammer sping, double action was a bit much!!!!

J frames are great if you have small to med. hands.

I have one in the 4 inch also that has migrated to a son.

I had a trigger job done on it and put on a set of Hogue grips and it has been wonderful. My guess is that I put around 5000-7000 rounds through it and have no idea on how many rounds our son has pumped through it. It still runs smoothly perhaps even smoother than when I had it.

It is one of those classics that once you get them you never sell them. I made the mistake of selling a Colt New Frontier 7.5" barrel 22/22Mag and regret it to this day. Stupid.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old M34 2" that is my favorite .22 revolver. It has been carried many miles and digested several thousand rounds. Very handy, light and reliable. Always wished I had picked up one of the 63's(?) in .22 WMR.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its sad today that most "new" firearms aren't as good as they used to be.

Having to add locking devices and other stuff, just adds to sloppiness and fit.

Thinking about my collection, the S&W 63 is the only gun I have that I purchased as NIB!!

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 63/4" that is all you could want in a 22 revolver.Accuracy you wouldn't believe with ammo it likes.
The 3" version has an 8 shot cylinder and that's the only advantage that I can see.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote