Find
Notify
Tools

1911 grip loose....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I have an Ed Brown 1911 (with Cocobolo grips) and the top portion of the right side grip is loose. The screw is tightened as much as it can be safely....but it just doesn't seem to be snugging down the grip enough to keep it from moving.

What is the best solution?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A small O ring or as I have on mine a bit of suitable cord ! I suppose silicone sealer would work also.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Where would the o-ring go? Under the grip...or on top of the bushing?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the screw that is into the frame is not taken up all the way?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was casued by wood shrinkage so I put the cord between the head of the screw and grip.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Since you say the grip screw is tight, there are only 2 other way this can be loose- either the bushing has loosened up or as Mete says the grip has shrunk and is no longer compressed between the grip screw and the bushing.

If you wiggle the grip panel and you can see the grip screw move, the bushing is loose and just tighten it back down, preferably with some locktite or a trace of epoxy, then it should hold just fine. However, if the panel wiggles and the screw stays put then it is like Mete has and the panel is too thin for the screw. This is where you can remove the screw, put an o-ring over the screw under the head, and re-install. Or you can also make a few passes over the bushing with a file to make it shorter there as well, but you might want to experiment with an o-ring or rubber washer over the screw head first.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
....or try shorter screws.
Think I'd try the o-ring between the grip and the screw first.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
....or try shorter screws.
Think I'd try the o-ring between the grip and the screw first.

Shorter screws will have zero affect. The cure is most likely the o rings, after making sure the bushing is tight

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote