THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Springfield XD .40 struggling with reloads?????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield XD .40 struggling with reloads?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I load in the .40 for my two Sigs, a 226 and a 2340 and shoot a lot of my reloads using Power Pistol and Lazer Cast slugs in 155 and 180 modes.

Two of our sons both have Springfield XD .40 and their shooters won't cycle with those reloads that run smoothly in the Sigs.

I'm wondering if XD's are adverse to reloaded ammo or that I need to screw down my resizing die to touch the shell holder to make sure all the case is resized. The ammo in the XD's won't go into battery completely without an assist in the form of a blow to the back of the barrel to put it into battery.

Any suggestions on which course to follow???

What is your experience with reloaded .40's in an XD???

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they may be seated too long.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd adjust the sizing die. The die should contact the shell holder. The XD could have a tight chamber. Take the barrel out and try dropping a sized shell in the chamber. Does it chamber? Now try the loaded round. If the sized shell chambers but the loaded round doesn't look at length on the bullet and the crimp.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The XDs are kind of picky with brass brands. I have reloaded for my son's XD 40 and we have found that certain brass doesn't want to chamber. I also use a Lee FCD on all ammo for the semis, as it puts the finished round into a profile that will more readily chamber in tight chambers.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are taper crimping, right?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
You are taper crimping, right?
Peter.

Yeah, a little more info. I have an XD45TAC, eats everything but LSWC. They do have shallow throats & bullets tend to need a bit deeper seating to not engage the rifling during chambering. With a proper TC & OAL, the XD should feed anything w/ the exception of LSWC.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote