New
Find
Notify
Tools

hi point pistols
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone have any experiences with these pistols?

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot one in 9mm before. it went bang everytime i pulled the trigger, and hit a pie plate at 10yds. other then that their ugly and have the ergonomics of a brick. but a good deal for 180 bucks.

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are blowback, so the slide weighs about the same as a brick. The .45 that I fired went bang each time I pulled the trigger. Other than that, it has little in common with a pistol. They can also be used as a doorstop. Wink

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to waste good money on such a piece of crap. Yes it goes bang & yes you could certainly use one in close to defend yourself, but a used Ruger, Glock or S&W would be a far better pistol for only slightly more money.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for! These are little more than cheap peices of crap. Have shot them and found them lacking in almost every way. Poor accuracey, and poor function. Anything larger than 9mm would scare the crap out of me. I would be waiting for that pin to shear and let the slide hit me in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've fired the .45. It was crap. The sight would not adjust to point of impact. If I recall it still hit 6 inches to the left at 10 yards with the sight all the way over. It would be better than nothing, but I wouldn't recommend one unless for some reason it was the only thing available. I can say it did fire after every gritty pull of the trigger. My step dad ended up selling it and a newer Browning knock off to buy a S&W .40.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They go bang reliably.
They are cheap.
Extra mags are available.

All 3 cannot be said about ALOT of the other pot metal pistols out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here we call the Hi-Point "The finest piece of shit money can buy". That basically translates into it's cheap and ugly but goes bang every time. Which is a hard thing to say about most $100-$150 guns.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ruined a 9mm in around 150 rounds good thing the guy who give it to me wanted it back I was glad to give it back to him.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a Highpoint isn't the worlds ugliest semi-auto pistol I don't want to see whatever manages to beat it out of that title.

Let me put it this way I actually own a Davis 380.
I'm not at alll embarrassed to own it, of course I paid all of $49.95 for it NIB to a dealer that wanted to get rid of it
and at the time I had a NJ-pistol purchase "coupon"
that was going to expire in the next 48hours so my buying the pistol was a "marriage of necissity" rather than a "love match"

NJ was such a PITA with their permit process that I usually got my permits three at a time, and I was loathe to let one expire unused.

The Davis is compact and it goes "bang" and it reliably feeds the ammo I have in it, beyond that?

It isn't NEARLY as ugly as a Highpoint.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought the Highpoint pistols were named in honor of the "Highpoint Housing Project" in urban Seattle.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
This may be a stupid question but is the Hi point the same as the Jennings nine or refered to as the saturday night special? If it is I own the jennings and it is the worst gun I have. I dont even take it out to shoot much cause it is always jambing (worst than the Desert eagle).

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
No, the High point is a boat anchor disguised as a gun. It's a blow back operated .45 ACP. The Jennings looks better but functions worse. The one and only Highpoint I've fired went bang everytime. I haven't heard of the Jenning's doing as well. I did have a Jennings J-22. That was a decent little .22, it went bang all the time.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo729:
anyone have any experiences with these pistols?

ELMO,
My Brother in Law purchased a Hi-Point in the 45 ACP. He has fired a couple of thousand rounds and really likes it and has stated that he never had a malfunction with it.

I was at a gun shop and held both the 9mm and 45acp and they have a very heavy and lARGE slide. Not really a boat anchor it’s more of a ship anchor. I felt that they could have slimed it down some on the 9mm to accommodate something a little more balanced.
“Not for me”

I purchased a $300 Taurus revolver to shoot the hec out of and would never trust it for complete protection because it’s been back to the factory twice and the future looks grim. The cylinder locks up loose, it doesn’t want to cycle sometimes when heated up but I still shoot the crap out of it anyway and would not be disappointed if it dissolved into dust.

Never the less if you buy one, (hi-point) make sure you don’t shoot your feet off.

Big Grin

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
If you desire to buy one for novelty, by all means.

If you think you'd trust your life to the lowest end item in the entire industry, you are not doing any real math.....

Buy a quality steel and/or synthetic top end and never look back. Such firearms can be had for $300 or so, new and or used.

A quality piece certainly is not 100% fail safe (tell me of a tool that is?), but the probability is that a quality piece is much higher in reliability.

ZAMAK (zinc magnesium alloy) parts of firearms are made with a known lifespan, usually around 3000 cycles, while name brand handguns are often tested to well past 300000 rounds for parts durability and reliability.

How cheap is your life?

Save if you have to in order to purchase a top-flite lifesaving rescue tool.

Borrow one in the meantime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm going to be one of the voices of dissension here.

I traded a fishing rod for a NIB Hi-Point .40 S&W and really like it.

It has over 500 rounds through it so far and still hasn't misfed, jammed or failed to fire. I've seen other handguns that cost a LOT more than mine that cannot say the same thing.

It is heavy, it is awkward to carry and not terribly attractive to the eye.

But it is dependable, reasonably accurate (at least as much as I am) and it's inexpensive.

It's all fine and good to say "You need to spend more, or borrow a gun," but for many people, that isn't an option.

And the way I figure it, I'm probably never going to need it, but on a retiree's income, I have other things to spend my money on. I'd rather have an inexpensive, but dependable handgun than none at all! Is my life worth more than $159.95? Certainly! But until such time as I can afford to buy a "better" handgun, this is going to have to do the job.

I didn't like the slick grips, so I put an aftermarket Hogue grip on it which really helps. I haven't adjusted the sights and can put seven out of ten shots into a paper plate at 15 feet, with the other three being just off the plate. That's good enough accuracy for me.

Would I like to own a Ruger, a Glock, an S&W, a Kimber or some other high dollar handgun? Of course, but this is what I can afford.

It's U.S. made, comes with a lifetime warranty and it doesn't cost a lot, for me it's a good fit.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .380 in 2001 and have fired approx. 2500 rounds through it. I finally cleaned it several months ago and it still has never jammed or failed to fire. I paid $49.95 for it, best money I ever spent. I also have a Ruger, Springfield, and a Glock and try to spend time with all of them. If a buddy doesn;t bring a pistol I let him use the HP.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 24mileboy:
I finally cleaned it

How do you take it apart?

One guy that I worked with had a .45 that jammed before he emptied the first clip. Jammed closed that is. Said he was gonna take a hammer to it and work out some frustration, but I never found out what happened.

We've had High Points at some CC classes and I've seen enough of them give people problems to know not to trust them in a time of need.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I see no reason to waste good money on such a piece of crap. Yes it goes bang & yes you could certainly use one in close to defend yourself, but a used Ruger, Glock or S&W would be a far better pistol for only slightly more money.

Used Ruger, Glock, or Smith might be LESS money than a new Hi Point.

They are ugly, and blowback is unreliable beyond 380 ACP or 9mm Makarov caliber. It's a cheap design on a cheap gun.

So, because I have a few guns in the 100 yr old range that are still shooting well, put the money you spend/save into a century of ownership sort of perspective.

Wives don't last as long as guns do. Makes sense to think about what you're getting into.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griz78,
I have the manual for the pistol and it includes instruction to disassemble the pistol, it was easy to do. I have enclosed the link to the Hi Point website manual. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/C-9_CF380.pdf
Jon

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
My last choice but from what I've seen workable. How many of the guns at the carry class had been shot before? I've heard a lot of the same stuff said about Taurus.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the way I figure it, I'm probably never going to need it, but on a retiree's income, I have other things to spend my money on. I'd rather have an inexpensive, but dependable handgun than none at all! Is my life worth more than $159.95? Certainly! But until such time as I can afford to buy a "better" handgun, this is going to have to do the job.

Sorry, penny wise & pound foolish. For just a bit more, maybe $250-$300 total, you can get a used Ruger P series, or even a S&W SIgma or police trade in rev, far better quality guns. If my life is worth defending, even on a fixed income, I'll find the extra $100-$150. As always, it's about priority. If you smoke, stop. In one month you'll have saved enough money to buy a better SD/HD weapon. Skip Starbucks once a week & in a year you paid for it.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote