Find
Notify
Tools

Best N Frame holster?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I just bought a S&W Airlite 44 Mag(N Frame w/ 4" bbl) for backcountry carry and need to find a good holster. Will be wearing it while fly fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. so needs to be comfortable. Would like something in leather. Not overly concerned about price. I just want a high quality backcountry leather holster.

So who makes the best N frame/4" leather holster that meets my requirements? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
For my .44mag Mountain Gun I use this Price Western Leather holster. It conceals well and securely holds the gun.

http://www.pwlusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD...20TS&Category_Code=1

HTH

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Check the www.dillonprecision.com site as well. They usually have a good line of practical holsters.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There are several good leather makers out there; Bianchi, Galco, Kramer, DeSantis, depends on what style & cost. For a fishing rig I would think you want a high riding strong side carry, w/ a safety strap of some kind.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help. I ended up getting a "Loaded Pancake Holster" from simplyrugged.com

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bulldog
I have carried a 4" S&W 44 in the field for over 30 years. The best holster I have found so far is the DeSantis crossdraw.
A cross draw is comfortable to wear and you can get to the revolver when sittting. Also when wearing a coat or a pack.
When I want or need to carry the 44 discreatly I usr a Milt Sparks Summer Special inside the pants holster.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this holster for my Model 29. It is excellent.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=787&GunID=145

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my holster for my model 27 is a bianchi ranger black nylon rig with a matching belt for a k frame as it holds the revolver tighter.... i like the nylon as this is the 21st century so my gun isn't going to by carried in animal skin.. JMO....

LIFE IS SHORT......................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bulldog563,
Along with the Milt Sparks Summer Special that NE 450 No2 suggested, take a look at the Milt Sparks #200AW also. I have one for a Redhawk and it carries it perfectly. I think it will carry the Smith even better.
Lefteris.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry a 4" bbl. 44 mag. Smith "discretely" --

I remember looking at a Desert Eagle in 44 mag. or it might have been 50 AE. I commented, "Great carry gun for concealed!"

Guy at the gun show table says, "Concealed?"

And I says, "Yeah, if I stick a gun in my pants, I want people to know I have a gun stuck in my pants!"

I have a 4" bbl. 629. Favorite gun for the "field." Open carry is legal, and so I carry in a conventional, oil finish "Frontier" on the belt, with a hammer strap.

But I'd like a Galco or Kramer pancake for it.