New
Find
Notify
Tools

para--or--kimber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with the Para Ordinance P1640 LDA? If so, is that a better option than the Kimber stainless II?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you done an internet search?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=3697

Seems to me they are different guns. I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in 38 Super. Is the Kimber not a single action while the Para has the Light Double Action feature? There were some negative comments posted here about the Para. Do a search and make up your own mind.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am actually pretty familiar with both guns. The LDA is a cross between a single and double action, where the kimber is not. I am just wondering if anyone personally has one of these guns and has input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the LDA in 40 in IPSC. I am not very good at it, but mine has several thousand rounds thru it and still runs flawlessly. Cast bullets.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a stainless II but do have a Kimber CDP II. I can probably shoot it better than any other pistol I have except a S&W 41.
It simply puts the bullet where I aim. No problems so far.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends what you are after.

If you want to shoot gun games, then the LDA may be a good choice. Its a big, heavy piece with a 16 round mag. If you have smaller hands, it may be a bit of a handful. As others have said its a modified double action gun. It has no double strike capability, and you cannot manually recock it. The only real advantage to it is shooting USPSA production division- heavy gun, low recoil impulse, light trigger. They do seem to have QC issues at Para compared to other makers, IME.

The stainless Kimber pistols (I have a Target II) is basically a copy of the colt 1911. This is still usable in gun games (IDPA, IPSC/USPSA) as well as concealed carry/defensive uses, and is a good production made gun. I think you can find them in .45 and .38 Super only, but I may be wrong there (its been a while since I brought a single stack pistol.)

Since you don't KNOW you want the Para, I think you would be better off with the Kimber.

Edited to add I have both of them- if I was going to get one or the other, it would be the Kimber.

Posts: 10970 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input....Now that you brought up the concealed carry, I will maybe look at which one will fit the bill for that. I probably am leaning more towards the kimber myself. I am however looking at getting the next pistol in .40 cal. So, the manufacturer will have to offer the caliber.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I would keep as far away from Para as you can. When they work, they work well, but when they do not work well they have no, none, zero, customer service.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My one Para-Ordinance (P-13) worked after changing out the factory magazine springs and the recoil springs with Wolff extra-power springs. The 2 Kimbers I've had worked well but one thumb safety broke (early MIM part).

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote