Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on big bores
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
OK, this my not be the perfect place to post, but you guys do know handguns.
I have been bitten by the handgun hunting bug.
I have always liked the Rugers, and am considering the Super Red Hawk in .454, or .480 Ruger. Pretty much decided against a .44Mag. The plus side of the .454, is the ability to shoot .45LC. This will probably have a low power Leupold mounted.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember the days when the 44mag was said to be unmanageble by almost all shooters ! Proper training and practice cures that.But what are the limits ? One gunwriter now has severe arthritis in the wrists from frequent shooting of the biggest magnums ! The 500S&W has loads equaling the standard 45-70 loads.IMO for deer you don't need anything bigger than a 44 mag.And I use iron sights since once you use a scoped revolver you might as well use a carbine .

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger SRH in 44mag. 7.5" barrel. I went a little overboard and had Mag-Na-Port do an action and trigger job on it for me, plus install one of their mag-na-brake muzzle-breaks.

Overall barrel length is now about 9.5" and it does well. Barely any recoil to speak of, but there's a tad more blast, and and a lot more noise.

The .44s been killing deer, elk, and bear for a lot of years now. I don't think Ma Nature's making animals any tougher these days than back in the 50s and 60s.

A scope's, on top of a big revolver, is going to be a lot of weight out front, so unless you have a prop or some shooting sticks look for arm fatigue pretty fast.

Personally, I've thought about the .480s, but I just can't see needing one for anything within normal handgun ranges. To me, a handgun isn't a 150 yard weapon. 60 - 70 yards is about the furthest I'd shoot with my .44. If I had a .480, I might push that out to about 100 yards, maybe 120, but I haven't met a deer yet where I thought a .44 mag would be undergunned on him.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of that SRH Mag-Na-Port fixed up for me. Trigger pull is just under 3 lbs now and very crisp. The action job is very smooth, and you can see the job they did on the muzzle break. Everything's very smooth overall.

Just a thought, but if you really want one of the big magnums in a handgun, you may want to consider the break. It's not really needed on the .44, but I wanted something different and to play with, so that's that.

Here's the pic:

http://www.alaweb.com/~crowell/pics/bengun03.jpg

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have fired the Super Redhawk in both the .454 and .480. I bought the .480 and really like it. The recoil and muzzel blast from the .454 are much worse than the .480. I use the 400 gr. Lee bullet at about 1150 fps. It is accurate and the recoil is stiff but managable. At 100 yds. I can keep all shots within 4" with a 2X scope. Usually 4 shots are under 2", so the ones out of the group may be my fault.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't mention the animals you intend to hunt, but if you only intend to hunt nondangerous, deer sized game, I think you will regret the 454 purchase. Practical range will not be enhanced all that much vs. a 45 Colt or 44 Mag, not to mention the increased difficulty in learning to shoot a 454 well. If you reload, the 44 Mag has better bullet selection and economical component availability as well. If you don't reload, most any store that sells ammo has 44 mag, and some of it is value priced. I don't think the same can be said of the 454. I couldn't fault you for choosing the 480 (bigger holes are usually better), but once again what will really be gained outside of additional expense for ammo?

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
of the two id go with the .480 Especially if you handload and shoot cast bullets

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
When I bought my .44 there was no such thing as a .480.

If I had the choice to do over today, I'm still not sure I'd go with the .480 vs. the .44, but for me the .454 isn't even in the picture, it's just too much on the wrists these days for what you get back in return.

I had to get out of IDPA because my hands started shaking on me practicing with just a .45acp after about 200 - 300 rounds at the range. My wrist would be shaking so bad I could barely hold the gun, but I was too stubborn, so I kept at it, and now these days, my wrists will start shaking after just 50 or 60 rounds sometimes.

I'm sure typing 12 - 15 hours a day at a keyboard for 15+ years at my job doesn't help much either. I've gotten to where I'll wear a wrist brace and that seems to help.

I've shot a Taurus 454, and I just didn't see the novelty or necessity of it for what you get down here.

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
For the most part, deer will be the primary game hunted, I plan on cooking up a stout .45LC for that duty. The .454 will probably only be used for an upcoming Elk hunt.
Mabye over kill, but the package price I found on a slightly used SRH, and brass, and NIB redding dies has pretty much made up my mind for me.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
acsteele: Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. The .45 LC loads will cover most of your needs and if you check the data when pressure is given, you'll find that the performance of 30,000 CUP .45 LC loads almost mirror the performance of the hotter .44 Magnums and you have the ability to use even heavier cast bullets with the .45. Then when you feel you need that extra umph, you've got a .454 Casull! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
Boys take note there is a new one in town and if you are looking for a big bore look no futher. S&W X Frame .460 S&W Mag. shoots 45 LC, 454 Casull, and ofcourse the .460 S&W Mag. my buddy just bought one with a 8 3/8 inch barrel, did not come with wheels (inside joke) and it is according to him the .460 is about the same felt recoil as a 44Mag in this weapon, it comes with two muzzle breaks one for lead and one for copper. I shot it with 45LC loads and I did not know the gun went off (GOSPLE). It is a bit barrel heavy but it shoots really good, very accurate.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have owned several big-bore handguns. I have a couple of M 29 Smiths, and a pair of Ruger SRHs -- one in .480 and the other in .454 Casull. I would highly recommend the .480. Yes, it is definitely more in the recoil department than the .44 magnum, but you are also getting a lot more in return. Depending on what you intend to hunt, Buffalo Bore makes an excellent 410 grain load that runs about 1200 fps. The Casull is a brute with much sharper and unpleasant recoil, but it is an effective hunting round as well with the option of using mild .45 LC ammo -- this assumes that you are not a hand loader. I'd go .480, you won't regret it IMHO.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post. Lot's of good input from everyone.

I just bought my first big caliber revolver. Been told by an old time gun fighter that with the right loads anything a .45 Colt loaded to the max in a new Model Ruger wouldn't do. You should go to a rifle. He believe's the same with a scope on one.

A couple yrs ago I entered an open pistol match with about 20 other guys. Always figured I was a half assed handgunner of no special quality. I shoot/shot a .30 carbine Blackhawk til getting this new one in .45 Colt/ACP combo. still NIB yet. Did load shells tonight so won't be long.

Anyway, several others had scoped .44mags and they scattered their shots all over a 4' sq target board. All mine were within 6" or so at 50yds. One little guy said his gun was shot out, or else the scope was failing. I asked to shoot it. He only had 5 shells left. I put them all in about 3" at 50yds with the scoped gun. Felt bad about the guy as that was done with nearly all the shooters standing with us. Nothing I could say except: "It's not the gun!".

Am not sure what bullets he loaded ,but, do remember his charge was 25gr H110. Sounded plenty hot to me, til I got the books open that night and saw this load was several gr over max.
Since then he split the barrel and Ruger replaced it at n/c. Idiots everywhere it seems.

What really felt funny was when I was shooting a 24 shot group at 50yds and dropped some shells. When I turned to pick them up, there were at least 8 guys standing lined up behind me watching my shooting. Have never had that happen to me before. Neither have I won a handgun match before then either.

I'm anxious to start shooting this 45 as it's my first one. Do want to replace the 5 1/2" tube with an 8"er before long. I just like long barrels on my revolvers. Seem to balance better and less hammering on my wrists too.

Just playing, I've made some 300yd shots with the 30 Ruger. One time in particular Dad was running down handguns in general and this one in particular demanding what good is it.

We had a barrel full of rocks at a fence corner for a deadman/anchor. I told him to watch that drum. First two shots were inline but way short. Last ten didn't kick up any dirt at all. We drove down there and there was ten holes in it. Never heard another bad word from him about my pistols, nor my shooting either.

I've got a 5" .45 cal m/l I like to play with. Needs better front site. But, with 25gr FFg and either rb's, or REALs, can put them all thru a 4' sq target frame at 100yds every shot. I can't hit anything with it, but, all my shots go thru that frame. Amazing for what the gun is. Those early shooters were NOT all that much undergunned other than rapid fire of course.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote