THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    My new custom-built Ed Brown 1911 pics.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new custom-built Ed Brown 1911 pics.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Well guys.....Christmas came early this year!! I got a phone call today telling me my newest toy was ready to be picked up. I had this custom 1911 in .45 ACP built by Ed Brown Products in Missouri, ordered thru a local authorized dealer. Devivery was supposed to be within 90 days, but it ended up only taking 60 days. Here are some pictures. I hope you enjoy them. Let me know what you guys think. I am really looking forward to shooting it ASAP. The grip frame has a custom "chainlink" pattern engraved on it. The top of the slide is flattened and serrated. And the grips are made of high-grade Cocobolo wood.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks VERY NICE. tu2 Big Grin Cool

Let us know how she shoots. flame

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Cool

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed builds a pretty and reliable "best quality" 1911.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Beautiful....if I had an extra $500.00 I'd order one.... Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range.....and this gun is unbelievably accurate!! It shoots better than I can. I put 220 rounds thru it without a single malfunction of any kind, and my dad put about 50 thru it with the same results. Flawless performance!! I could not possibly be more satisfied.....

Groups consisted of:

- 2" to 3" ragged hole groups at 7 yards

- 3.5" to 4" groups at 15 yards

- last group I shot was 75 rounds at 7 yards....all within a 3 inch hole

I know the gun will shoot much better than that.....I just am not capable of shooting much better. This was all practical use, home-defense practice anyway. I could probably have shrunk all those groups by an inch if I would have been taking my time and aiming precisely.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. A "good" 1911 is a great gun... tu2 Cool Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Cyclotronjunkey
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking gun!

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nice gun

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
You did very very well for yourself.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We know two things:

1. it is going to feed and shoot like a house on fire.

2. it looks better than it shoots.

Good choice in a carry gun.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun looks very nice but who chose the carpet?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was all practical use, home-defense practice anyway.

Is that why you bought it, for home protection and occasional plinking?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
The gun looks very nice but who chose the carpet?

HAHA!! It is actually a blanket. If you could see the entire thing, it would not look so bad. It has a big bull moose on it Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
This was all practical use, home-defense practice anyway.

Is that why you bought it, for home protection and occasional plinking?

Yes sir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! IMO your choices of the chain link treatment and serated top strap where good ones. I also like the lack of an ambi safety. It is a clean looking peice. It's been my experience that Ed often gives a longer delivery time than it usually turns out to be. I have two Browns and both were delivered early. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it's performance.
Butch

So many guns so little time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1911 fan,

the ambi controls are for that eleven percent of us who are "wrong handed".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or if Guido breaks your "right" shooting hand.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classic 5" 1911, I very much like the options you chose. It should provide a lifetime of performance and pride - to several generations.

Since you're an Ed Brown fan I thought you might enjoy this video I made (even though it is on a different model): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ICxY&feature=related

Ed surely knows how to build fine pistols.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've actually seen your video Dave. I enjoyed it very much. In fact, I already have plans of buying one of Ed Brown's Executive Carry models in the future.....possibly in a two-tone Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased you enjoyed the video. As you know the Ayoob special in the video is basically an Executive Carry with a few personal touches.

ECs are great carry guns. The one in the video I had on loan from Ed for two or three months and wore it as my CCW in a Summer Special holster. Although I generally prefer the lighter weight of an alloy frame for a carry gun this one was a pleasure to carry. I like the "Bobtail" feature, it's a good idea.

I'd have bought it except I'm very well fixed for 1911s already and needed the funds for other purchases. Just a side note, I was sorry when Ed Brown suspended rifle production. I have a 702 series Damara in 7mm-08, it is one of my "almost perfect" hunting rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Anderson:
I'm pleased you enjoyed the video. As you know the Ayoob special in the video is basically an Executive Carry with a few personal touches.

ECs are great carry guns. The one in the video I had on loan from Ed for two or three months and wore it as my CCW in a Summer Special holster. Although I generally prefer the lighter weight of an alloy frame for a carry gun this one was a pleasure to carry. I like the "Bobtail" feature, it's a good idea.

I'd have bought it except I'm very well fixed for 1911s already and needed the funds for other purchases. Just a side note, I was sorry when Ed Brown suspended rifle production. I have a 702 series Damara in 7mm-08, it is one of my "almost perfect" hunting rifles.

I too was saddened to hear they ceased production of their rifles. I would like to have bought one in a few years.

On another note, have you seen they just introduced an alloy-framed Kobra Carry? If I was in the market for an auto to carry concealed, I would definitely look hard at it. However, I have switched completely to a revolver for all my concealed carrying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of the LW alloy-framed Kobra, thanks for the tip. Pictures and description at the web site look very good (no surprise).

SHOT Show is only about six weeks away and I'm going to have a look at the LW model there. Also hope to get a hint whether rifle production might resume when the economy recovers (as I hope it does soon).

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds good.....keep me posted if you don't mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I know the gun will shoot much better than that.....I just am not capable of shooting much better. This was all practical use, home-defense practice anyway. I could probably have shrunk all those groups by an inch if I would have been taking my time and aiming precisely.

The body alignment and breathing techniques of good pistol shooters are available through the internet by asking Google.

Here's a short course:

1. Position your body facing the target.
2. Using your natural push-pull grip, adjust your feet until your not pushing or pulling from either direction to maintain the pistol on the target.
3. Aquire target, close eyes, take a breath. If you are aligned perfectly your body will not have moved when you open your eyes.
4. Adjust your body again until you don't move.
5. Remember to squeeze the trigger, yet have enough forward strength on the push-pull to keep the pistol from double cycling.
6. Try and focus enough to lock the world out of your thoughts when your shooting.
7. have fun, you won't shoot well if your not having fun.

Via the written word and not face to face that is as close as I can think to write the basic shooting stance.

If you were standing here I'd have you hitting 10 rings every time provided you can see past your nose.

Enjoy the pistol, 1911s aren't my cup of tea, but yours looks nice. Ed Browns are supposed to be of good quality.

Or as my Dad would say, it would make a nice parts gun if I wanted to tweak a Norinco!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just left the Ed Brown booth at the SHOT Show. Handled the new LW Kobra Carry, it appears to be an outstanding pistol and at 27 ounces should be great for concealed carry. Ed says demand has exceeded their expectations, they are very pleased with the interest in it.

Regarding Ed Brown rifles it appears very unlikely we'll see production resume as the company is going full time with 1911 pistols and components. They will continue to provide service and parts for existing rifles but Ed says they do not anticipate manufacturing more receivers. Apparently it just takes too much time which could be better spent on 1911s. I'm glad I bought my Damara when I did!

Incidentally Ed said he hunted in Zimbabwe last summer and took another elephant (tuskless cow) and another buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Dave. I'm disappointed to hear about the rifles, but I can certainly understand their decision if they can make more money by focusing on just 1911's.

It would be interesting to order one of their guns with a blank LW frame (used for the LW Kobra).....so that other aesthetic options could be chosen. I'm not a fan of the "Kobra skin" checkering.....I prefer either the traditional 25 LPI checkering or the "Chainlink" pattern I got on mine.

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a point of interest, the SHOT Show is packed and the enthusiasm level seems high. Ed Brown says business has been great. I hear much the same from most company reps I've talked with at the show.

My 2008 PH, Errol Lambrechts of Zingela Safaris, was at SHOT for a couple of days and we went for lunch. He said business was much better at Dallas Safari Club than it was last year.

Chatted a bit with Robbie Barkmann (Robar), he says this is the best SHOT Show his business has had in years. Don't know what the driving factors are in this enthusiasm but it is nice to see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer

Congratuations, you own, and have experienced one of the Finest handguns on the Planet, a quality 45 ACP 1911...

In the future you should get a quality 1911 Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP, as it is the BEST CHL handgun on the planet.

It is just enough smaller and lighter to be a superb CHL gun.

Then you will have 2 of the best handguns on the Planet.