New
Find
Notify
Tools

USG 5.7x28
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who owns an FN in this caliber? Can you report your experiences/opinions? Initial cost, cost of feeding? Accuracy? Do you reload?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
I bought one on Tuesday! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as it has been below zero and windy up here all week...I'll maybe run a few rounds through it this weekend. I do reload, but as of now don't have any plans of reloading for this gun. Mine was $900. The dealer said FN raised retail on these guns $75 last week. I think full retail is $949 now. He said when they came out they retailed for $799, then $875 and now $949.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
As far as cost goes, if you buy one of these prior to 3/31 you get 200 rounds of free ammo from FN. I purchased 250 rounds at $19.99 a box when I purchased the gun...Midway has the ammo on sale for $18.99 a box (50) through the end of the month. I hope to be able to report to you by Sunday on firing the gun.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
archer, thanks very much. I am very interested in your experiences. I actually own a Grendel in 22mag, and, while the chrono shows that the 22mag is much slower than out of a rifle (around 1500fps as I recollect) I am just not sure how much better the 5.7 would be.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
Well...I ran a hundred rounds through the Five Seven today...Not the most comfortable day to be out shooting pistol as it was 28 below zero with a slight breeze...I shot 50 rounds of the hollow points and 50 rounds of the VMax factory FN, all without a single hitch. Everything performed flawlessly. The VMax was slightly more accurate for me over the Hollow points.

It was just too cold to dig out the chronograph to check the speed, but overall I couldn't have been more impressed with the performance of the gun. I think I found my new "truck" gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Archer, what kind of accuracy were you getting? Thius ammo seems pretty expensive. Is this round going to survive?
Peter

One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
Accuracy was good, but tough to tell how good due to conditions...Isn't ALL ammo getting expensive? I am saving my brass, I hadn't planned on reloading but you never know. Saving brass is no easy task as the gun throws it about 20 ft. The round is going to be around for awhile...Survive? time will tell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Archer, thanks for the information and advice. Please keep me posted on how this shoots (when the weather warms up!).
peter.