Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 45 LC Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
The std. .45colt load is a 255gr bullet @ something around 700-750fps. You're right, it's very managable, but then again so is a .44mag loaded to the same level. You can push bigger bullets faster in the Colt & recoil will rival any .44mag. This is only safe in The big Rugers though. Most factory loads for the Colt are loaded to pressures that won't "break" the older generation Colt revolvers. I think Corbon makes a +p version for use in the Ruger but if you want more perf. than the factory stuff, you'll have to reload. My walking around the backcountry load is a 300gr LFP @ 1000fps from my 4 5/8"RugerSSBH. It kicks, but it's managable & that heavy,hard bullet penetrates like crazy, more than 20" in wet phone books. That's better than my .338-06.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As Fredj338 said factory loads for the LC are kept very low due to old colts and others still out there. The LC comes into its own in a Ruger or FA. It can and does reciol like a 44 when loadded to 44 performance, no free lunches The diffrence is the LC can do it at lower presures, less wear and tear on your Ruger. The 300gr load @ 1200fps is a fine load and will accomplish most hunting done with a pistol. If you reload this can be done with ease with powders like 296, h110 2400 4227. Heres the kicker though as I see you also from wyoming. Wyoming does not list the 45lc as legal to hunt big game with, so you either reload and be willing to prove your reload to your local game warden or court if ticketed, or find a factory load ( with factory published ballistics) that meets or beats the 500ftps of energy at 100yds as required by regulations. Buffalo Bore makes such a load but it is also quite costly. Recently however I was in a local shop and found that PMC is now also offering a +p loading, 300gr.jacketed soft point at the 1200fps. The ballistics are written write on the box (no questions from game warden)They are packaged in boxes of 50 and were priced at my shop right at $25.00.

Hope this Helps.

Posts: 4 | Location: Sheridan, Wy | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I have had my Ruger Bisley 7 1/2" 45LC for three years and still can't believe I waited this long to purchase one. It is a very nice shooting pistol with more energy than I would ever need in Oklahoma. I have shot the regular grip 45LC pistols by Ruger and I like the way the Bisley grip moves in my hand when fired. I have no doubt it will take any whitetail or hog I will hunt. I tried the Hornady 250grn XTP w/H110 and it was very accurate but seemed to come apart shooting into phone books and sand. I went to the 300grn Keith style cast bullet w/H110 @ 950 & 1050fps and it is still pleasant to shoot will just keep going on phone books and buckets of water. I like this bullet and can't wait until Nov to try it on a whitetail.

Mike

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
McClura, you might look at the 250GR HP/XTP Mag bullets and the 300GR HP/XTP bullet with LIL'GUN pushing.