Find
Notify
Tools

desert eagle/50 ae ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
today i picked up the desert eagle i put in layaway in may, this year.... i've read the manual, pretty simple dissasembly... took it apart ... if you move the little lever right in front of the trigger guard, it all just basically falls apart....goes together pretty easily also...i loaded the magazine, just to feel the weight (4.3 lbs).. then unloaded... the follower in the clip wants to hang, and the last 2 rounds had no tension on them... is there something i can do to slick up the clip???... it's a genuine magnum research clip and doesn't seem to want to come apart.... any ideas????

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problems with the mags in my Desert Eagles and I've got a pair of them in .357 & 50AE including the 44mag conversion kit. If you've got genuine MRI mags there's a small hole in the base plate with a tab sticking in it. Using your 5in1 tool depress the tab and the base plate should slide right off.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
took the magazine apart... and removed the little tab that was interfering with loading the clip....now the slide won't stay back after the last round... thumbdown...i'll replace the tabb and do some work on it to make it slide down better... as i only have 1 clip so far, it really won't matter....i'd like to scope my eagle... the barrel is groved for weaver type bases... i looked at aimpoints today... they only use 1 ring... wonder if it will hold up to the recoil with 1 ring????

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you've already surmised, the little tab pushes up on the slide release, you need it. I really wish I could offer more suggestions but I've never had any problems with my six mags. Confused

The 50AE is notorious for eating optics so I wouldn't mount anything with one ring. That slide slamming back is really hard on them. If you do mount some type of optics make sure you use a good set of rings and bowling rosin in them to keep it from shifting.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i figured out that the millet reddot electronic scope that i have on my ruger #1 .458 will fit on the desert eagle... the millet came with weaver type rings ( i had to buy ruger rings for the #1)....so i'll try it this next weekend.... the .50ae doesn't have a sharp recoil, but has muzzle jump... movement of the action is smooth, not slamming... so maybe the millet will stay together for a while... i've still got about 3 1/2 yrs left of the 5 yr warranty.... the desert eagle begs for a scope...

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're really going to like shooting it with optics. The factory sights are regulated for 100yds and pretty crude. Short of putting Millet adj. sights on it optics are the only way to go.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
when i shot it the other weekend, my shooting buddy, jim milhouse in pt lavavca, shot it better that i did.. but he always outshoots me, even with my own guns...the book i got with the gun said that the gun was sighted for 25yds... with the sights level, i was about 5" low...thats the reasoning behind the electronic sight... to get something adjustable... and to be able to change distance without changing the sight picture...

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis