Find
Notify
Tools

XD vs. glock vs. CZ
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
went looking at pistols yesterday, I was wondering which are typically more accurate and reliable, also how would you rank in quaility of manufacture.

here is what I found: glock didn't really like the grip angle, the XD felt a little better but I don't know anyone that has one, also the CZ felt great in the PO1 and in the CZ 75 compact models, I have a soft spot for CZ's and their traditional look. I don't know which one I want

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with you on glocks grip angle, besides I just can't find a soft spot in my heart for them. The real shocker came when I tried the XD. I figured it was just another damn plastic gun, but whoa, these things fit me, shot well, didn't malfunction and actually had a decent trigger. Only problem is loading the last couple of rounds in the mag. Man do they have a spring in them. Needed a loading tool for the last round.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own an XD 40 and it's a great pistol.
Accurate and reliable. It's my IDPA gun.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
XD over Glock, but for me, for accuracy and fit in my hand it would be CZ! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned both a cz-75 and two XD's--still have the XD's, if that says anything. In its defense, my cz-75 was the second most accurate 9mm I have fired, and was utterly reliable--never had a malfunction with it. But somehow I just never really warmed up to it. Ended up trading it in towards another 1911. My XD service is, surprisingly to some I am sure, the most accurate 9mm I have fired/owned, and that includes Hi Powers, the cz-75, sigs, walthers, etc. They just work--never a malfunction--and something about it makes it easy to shoot fast and well with ease.

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock in the 40 cal and a Sig 226 in the 40 cal and have shot the XD in 40 ( my son's). I think that the XD is a great value although if you handload, my son's XD had a hard time with some of the handloads that my Sig breezed through. That could be that particular XD with a tight chamber, I don't know! Another option would be to look at some of the preowned Sigs that the Sig factory sells. They should be avaiable in the $425-$475 range and I've seen about 5 of them and those looked very clean and not used a great deal. The Sig factory has a grading scale that they put on the preowns and if there was a way for you to find out how a particular gun graded out before you buy it, it would be informative.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a Glock fan. Never have been. Have 9mms from Smith, SIG, and SA. Very much like the SIGs and the CZs.

Bought a couple of 40 S&W CZ clones when Tanfolio stopped importing them and that was picked up by EAA. Gott'm cheap. Added Springfield Armory 9mm top ends when they got cheap. Later bought a P9 in 9x19 and 9x21. Bought my wife a P9 based race gun for IPSC.

Have run lots and lots of rounds through the CZ based guns. Only problem we ever had was a broken firing pin and a broken ambi safety.

They feel good, shoot well, and last a long time. Can't ask for more than that.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a XD in 9MM. These things are a work of art. They shoot and shoot. Had mine for about three + years now and they just don't jam. They will feed anything. The only thing I don't like is the 10 round clip. My buddy has the 40 Tactical same story.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If size is not a question, then I prefer the CZ 75. I am not familiar with the others discussed except for the Glock, and although I have one, I
like the "feel" of the CZ better. I have been using mine in some IPSC shoots of late and am really enjoying it. Functions well, recoil is light, accuracy is excellent. I returned mine to CZ for installation of fiber optic front and rear sights and what a fine difference it made for me.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
Have a XD in 9MM. These things are a work of art. They shoot and shoot. Had mine for about three + years now and they just don't jam. They will feed anything. The only thing I don't like is the 10 round clip. My buddy has the 40 Tactical same story.

My XD9 subcompact holds 10 in the mag but my tactical will run 17 rounds with one in the pipe...

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by docpyzon:
quote:

My XD9 subcompact holds 10 in the mag but my tactical will run 17 rounds with one in the pipe...

You have a gun that came out after the Brady Bill went out of law.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Between the XD and glock I think you are pretty even with what you get, I feel both are superior to the CZ in terms of functional reliability. Probably the best firing 40 I have ever touched has been the Sig P229, followed by the P239, then the P226.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with Glock every time. cheers

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned sig, s&w, beretta, taurus, glock DA autos (although, the glock really isn't). I've not shot the XDs, I like the feel though, much like a 1911 grip angle. The sig was the second most reliable pistols, only jams w/ bad reloads at weird angles. Yet, I am still waiting for the first jam on my glock w/ about 5000 rounds through it. The sigs were more accurate, and maybe the XD is too, but I can't imagine anything being more reliable than a glock.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the SHO show the guys at the Springfeild booth did not like like when I told them that John Browning to care of the grip safey problem when he invented the Hi power. Big Grin

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new pistol. The contestants were
CZ75, Springfield XD 45 and the Glop 21.

The CZ was the favorite going in. It dropped out because the large grip and long trigger reach doesn't work for me. Can barely reach the trigger.

Glop 21. Wrong grip angle, grip too big, spongy numb trigger.
At the same time I was picking out a pistol, I read about kabooms at the LAPD and Portland Police depts. I was present at a kaboom years ago. No reloads, it kaboomed on factory Federal ammo. As long as Glop refuses to do a redesign and recall of Glops to fix the kabooms and ergonomics, I can't see myself ever buying one. Glop was a ground breaking design when it came out, but the competition has caught up and passed Glop.

Springfield XD 45
Excellent grip, fit is good, great trigger. Good sights. The first hi-cap 45 that fits my hand comfortably. All the others I have tried are too big and clunky. The XD was $110 cheaper than the Glop.
The XD won. Put it on layaway two weeks ago.

This is my opinion. your opinion may vary.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke

When you get back from shooting it the first time post and let us know what your impression is. Think you're going to like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought an XD 45. I am really impressed with it. My dealer is selling more of the XDs than anything else right now. Give it a look. I think you'll like it!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PeterPan
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to XD. I own XD9 and I love it. I am thinking about buying XD40.
Guns shoots nicely and where I point.

Posts: 202 | Location: Bolton | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I had a Glock 22 (full sized 40) that I traded for a Ruger Redhawk and some cash. Shot that gun quite a bit with no trouble at all. Not a truly accuate gun though. I've also shot/handled a friends XD-9 SubCompact, I acctually used this gun to qualify for my concealed carry class having never fired it before. Both good guns. I don't care for the grip saftey, but the polished stainless mags that came with the XD will drop at the touch of the mag release where my glock mags would fail to do so 30% of the time. I'm now thinking about reconsidering the XD for a carry gun over the S&W 637 I had originaly thought of.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zeke

When you get back from shooting it the first time post and let us know what your impression is. Think you're going to like it.

Got to shoot my new XD 45. Put around 200? rounds through it.

Feels pretty good. Looks like a brick but feels good in the hand. Gun is top heavy compared to my Commander. Doesn't affect shooting. Seems to hit where I aim it. I am not the best shot on the planet so I only shot a couple of paper plate groups at 10 yards. Chased pop-cans and blasted lots of orange clay targets.

Best trigger I have ever shot in a tupperware gun and rivals my CZ-83 for having a great trigger period.

I put 150 rounds of UMC 230gr hardball through it with no hiccups.
Brought about 75 rounds from my orphan ammo can. There was S&B hardball, Wolf steel cased ammo, Federal 230gr FMJ, three different types of my handloads(wimpy, warm and +P) with a 225gr cast flatnosed bullet and some really ancient 200gr SWC. Some Remington 230 JHP and two different versions of Federal 230gr Hydra-shok. This is the part of the festivites where I just put rounds in the mag without regard to bullet type and brand. Just put them in the mag and start shooting. If a gun is going to choke, this is where it will choke.

No surprises. Fed everything.

Excellent gun.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote