Find
Notify
Tools

40S&W vs 45ACP on amimals
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
This post goes hand in hand with the other 40 vs 45 post.

Has anyone killed anything with either caliber? Deer, piggys etc? What were the results (wound channels) & reactions of the animals? What distance would you feel safe an animal with these two calibers? I am not talking about your shooting skill rather caliber performance.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I headshot a squirrel with .45ACP at about 20 yards once (luck as much as anything). No real wound channel to report, punched a nice half inch hole through his head. Bullet didn't expand a bit. Slaughtered some hogs with .45 too. Made unremarkable holes in the brain pans of about half inch in size. I don't think I'd be shy of taking a close range shot on a deer with one but the occasion never has come up. I don't think I'd be frightened to try deer or feral pigs on anything inside of 20-25 yards.

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think I'd be frightened to try deer or feral pigs on anything inside of 20-25 yards.

My thoughts exactly. Head shots (on animals standing still of course).

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't ask, but, if you move up to the 10mm., now you have a horse of a different color. I would use the 10mm (200 grain bullet at about 1200fps) on hogs for example.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know you didn't ask, but, if you move up to the 10mm

I don't have a 10mm (yet) Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use .45-70 (BFR) or .375 H&H or .30-30 (Encores/Contenders) when I'm intending on pigs and deer with handguns. Killed a wildebeest with the BFR once too. 405 grains of THWACK through the boiler room and he fell and snuffled around a bit. Never owned a 10mm.

Posts: 176 | Location: Earth | Registered: 18 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Used a .45 ACpP on a whitetail once with the dreaded Black Talon ammunition. Buck was bedded about 30 - 35 yards, shot was 1/4 on. Buck stayed in bed, and required a finishing round whe i walked up. Bullet recover from 1st round could be reloaded... Lucky all around as I wouldn't do it again. Saw a boar taken with a 1911 Colt many years back... 2 magazines and ranges from 15 yards to 18 inches... poor performance then too.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I killed many hogs with my glock 40sw and my 1911s 45acp ,i shot under 25 mts most shots under 10 mts heart lung area not notice any difference,i used too 357 and 44 mags ,all are marginal ,only the central nervous system provides one shot stops,the double taps inproves something the lethality but bear in mind that 40 and 45 are marginal ,and this is the same in humans ,i saw many many wound ballistics ,during my surgery residence.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure I would use expanding munitions on deer and hogs. Shouldn't one be trying for maximum penetration?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hmmm, I'm not sure I would use expanding munitions on deer and hogs. Shouldn't one be trying for maximum penetration?
peter.

In some states it is not legal to use FMJ ammunition for game species. Other than that I agree that penetration is essential for killing the subject.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I was thinking of hard cast lead or JFP (jacketed flat point). Would the flat point be legal?
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've got a Springfield V16 Longslide in 45 Super. 230g Golden Sabre's at 1150 fps. Fine for deer, and javelina, bullets open up reliably to .7" classic mushrom shape. Haven't hunted with it in a long time though, just use it for concealed carry.

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
230 @ 1150 ?? Eeker That's a bit warm !

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Mete, not for a 45 Super round out of a Springfield V-16 Longslide. It's actually 1.5g below max...

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I put a hard cast .45 ACP 220 gr SWC behind the shoulder of a 6' black bear in a pine tree. Bear was dead when he hit the ground.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1634 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not trying to be a jerk, but how long did it take for him to suffocate and fall out of the tree?

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote