New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with Griffon 45 ?.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with a RSA Griffon .45 cal. ?.

I'm curious as to what loads work best in it . A few I've tried key hole at 25 Yd.

I believe they were 230 grain hard ball . Before I load something else I thought I would ask

other opinions as to what might work better . I'm not sure of the barrel twist .

Some what ashamed to admit I purchased this New WAY back and have just recently taken it out

of the box to fire . Other projects had my interest so it sat in the safe all these years .

Same with Para and a Springfield SS , as I've yet to open the box on those . Never been much

on .45 but own more than I should , go figure ! ??. Thanks in advance for reloading help .

Doc.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with a RSA Griffon .45 cal. ?.

I'm curious as to what loads work best in it . A few I've tried key hole at 25 Yd.

I believe they were 230 grain hard ball . Before I load something else I thought I would ask

other opinions as to what might work better . I'm not sure of the barrel twist .

Some what ashamed to admit I purchased this New WAY back and have just recently taken it out

of the box to fire . Other projects had my interest so it sat in the safe all these years .

Same with Para and a Springfield SS , as I've yet to open the box on those . Never been much

on .45 but own more than I should , go figure ! ??. Thanks in advance for reloading help .

Doc.

Interesting. A .45 that keyholes the most standard load out there?

Do you have access to a chornograph?

Does this gun have porting on the barrel?

Does this gun have markings on it like "made in the RSA" or "Exported by Norinco" ?

Who manufactured the ammunition?

Lost Sheep.

These questions were prompted by my visit to this web site:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=48674

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have a Chrony ; No porting on the barrel it's a stock barrel .

This gun was made by Continental Arms in RSA . No Chinese junk ! It's got tritium night sights and

I suspect it's a 7 yard gun . Close quarter combat sight radius . To shoot anything over that

front sight is buried in the target . So I mounted an Aim Site on it . I'm not absolutely sure

of which factory loads I shot out of it when . I have shot Wolf and some .45's that were purchased

in a .50 cal ammunition can from a reloader at the gun show . That old boy has been re loading

longer than I've been alive and that's saying something !!. His re loads worked fine in another

of my .45's as well as in a friends .45 . So I don't understand why it shoots screwy .

We will be back home in a few weeks and I'll give it a proper shake down . It should shoot better

than it did and not key hole shots at 25 Yd. IMO any way !.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A picture of a Griffon Combat .45 cal .With AimShot sight attached .

One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Hi Doc,

My my 2 brothers and I all have 1911 pistols ! I have a Colt combat commander, my eldest bro has a Griffon like yours, and number 3 is a Norinco also the combat model.

All three have been fettled a bit and are not to fussy about what they consume, the Norinco was the worst from a finish point of view but the materials have held up well .. over the last 10yrs and 10's of thousands of rounds. The Griffon is also a fine pistol, that shoots well and has held up well to frequent use at the range with hand and factory laods.

My Colt ... well its my baby .. s i cant be objective .... but i would gladly pack either for SD. No reservations.

Just check barrel fitment .. fine tune .. barrel bush and link etc.

LOVE shooting em all!

p.s in allot of guys have the griffon .. and No issues.

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote