THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    problem with detonics combatmaster

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

problem with detonics combatmaster
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
howdy folks. i'm having a problem with my detonics combatmaster 45acp. it came with 3 mags and all of them fall out when the gun is fired. maybe on the first shot or maybe not until the second or third shot...but they all 3 fall out...every time! i took the mag release apart and cleaned all the pieces including the frame, lubed them with rem oil and it didn't help. i can't get them too fall out by just moving them around by hand , only when the gun is fired. when the release is pressed, they drop out like normal. is this a common problem? can it be cured with some new mags and who makes the best ones? thanks

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be your grip causeing this. Hand shifting during recoil depressing the mag release dropping the mag.

My draughter has this problem with my PPK Just the way she holds it about every 2nd or 3rd shot the mag drops. It doesn't do it for me Just her.

So it could very well be operator error instead of a gun propblem.

Have some one else shoot it and see what happens.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just may need a new magazine retainer.

Also how hard is to press the release? Could the spring have been lightened up?

Once upon a time I hurt my right hand and could not comfortably shoot a handgun.
At the time I was shooting in IPSC matches 2 nights a week.

So I borrowed a left hand holster and kept on shooting left handed. However I could not drop out the mag easily with my left hand [1911, I did not have an extended mag release, do not use them], so I just got an extra spring and cut it rown a little at a time till I clould operate it easily with my left hand trigger finger.

After my right hand got well, I replaced it with the original spring.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks folks. it started when my son was shooting it. i also thought he may be hitting the release button because his hands are too big for the pistol anyway. but it does the same thing with my smaller hands, while being real careful not to contact the realease. im thinkinh either weak spring or a mag retainer thats just too short or worn out. i posted this also to find out if this is a common problem. the button does seem a little easy to push but i don't know how hard its suppose to be so thats just a guess. i may pull the existing spring and stretch it a little like we use to do with the grease gun springs in the army and see if that helps...then order a new heavy duty one. if that doesn't do it, them a new retainer is going to get ordered. thanks again and any more ideas are very welcome.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stretching the spring might help for a short time, but if it is too weak I would replace it.

here is a little test. IF holding the 1911 in your left hand and if you can rfelease the magazine easily with your left hand trigger finger, then the spring is too weak.

If it releases with not much movement of the "button" then the release itself needs to be replaced.
Again, IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes the surface of the release itself wears a little and is somewhat rounded rather than sharp and square. Under recoil, they can allow a mag, especially a full one, to drop free. A new release can clear that up.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote