Find
Notify
Tools

45 LC Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

This week, after much deliberation, I purchased a Ruger Vaquero 45. I had never fired a gun chambered for this particular cartridge, but have fired just about evrything else, including some really heavy 44 mag loads. My question is about the recoil, or should I say the lack of it that I experienced while firing this gun for the first time. I took it out and with some Black Hills 250 gr ammo, put 25 rounds through it. At first, as I wasn't sure what to expect as far as recoil, I shot it two-handed. After determining that the recoil with this gun wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I shot it very comfortably and accurately one-handed. Now, was this just a light factory load or were my ideas about 45 LC recoil unfounded? A buddy of mine has a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag and it is absolutely brutal with any factory load. I hope to have tome to start handloading for this gun. I love the fit and finish on the gun and it is a pleasure to shoot. At 15 yards, it is absolutely deadly. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
If your Vaquero is the new Vaquero do not get carried away with trying to get big loads out of it the NEW VAQUERO is bilt on the colt pattern not the Blackhawk pattern which will handel the heavy stuff. CAUTION HERE

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
If you start dropping like 15gr of 296 in a .45lc,,its a whole different beast,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the old model Vaquero that will handle the heavy loads, try some. The .45 Colt Old Vaquero will make a .44 Magnum sit up and take notice. I shoot mine that way all the time. I am particularly fond of Hornady 250 XTP/HP bullets and either Lil' Gun or 296/H110 and magnum primers.

Do not use the heavy "Ruger Only" loads in the newer, smaller Vaquero; use only standard SAAMI .45 Colt loads. Although the metal in the new gun is tough stuff, there simply is not as much metal between you and disaster.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I owned the 1st generation Vaquero in .44 mag. w'5" barrell. I had it loaded with CorBon 320gr. HC (1175-981) I had a 60degree cant crossdraw holster made up for it. It was my belly gun on my South African bow hunt.

I wasn't aboutto share my treestand with any baboons. Big Grin

I used a Pachmayr
Rubber grip and it was bad to shoot a dozen or so rounds with. With the factor grip is was just NOT enjoyable.

If I would buy another I'd get the bisley grip for the punishing rounds. I ened up selling it, mistake mabye? But, I replaced it with a Freedom Arms.

I've still got that nice crossdraw holster. It isn't leagl(Sever angle) for CASS. But it's real cool looking at the poker table. It6 would be nice for driving too. It was perfect for long days sitting in te treestand.

PM me if you might be interested.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Bisley Vaquero 5.5" in .45 Colt. While I've only shot cowboy type factory loads in it so far (250gr bullet at ~780fps), its been a real pussycat. Now that my brass supply has built up, I'll experiment with some warmer loads.

I've fired a couple of Blackhawks in .44 and I agree that with full power loads they are a handful. For heavy recoil, I prefer the Bisley grip. It seems to match the anatomy of my wrists better and gives less muzzle flip. The .44 mag can easily be downloaded as necessary to be a sweet shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WyoC:

I just bought a convertible Blackhawk. Was on the way to load the first .45 Colt ammo a few min ago when my g/f called to come get her for a night of play times. hehe, guess what I'm gonna do??

Anyway, had it two weeks and just got dies today, so far it's still NIB.
Has the 5 1/2" tube, I wanted at least 7 1/2". Just may get one made up for it depending on how it does.

THis is the brand new model. So it's made for the hotstuff. Before I'm done with it, I'll have some heavy loads. But, I don't like hand stingers. Nor do I like, or do they fit me. With these lil bitty stock grips. I have big hands, and need big grips. Have a pair on my .30 Carbine blkhawk. It used to hurt my wrist with less than 50 shots til I talked an ex brother in law into carving a set that fit me. Soon as they were put on I fired 100 rnds non stop and blew the center 4" out of a target and 75 feet with it. Plan to do the same thing with this .45 Colt/ACP combo.
Soon as I can get a pair of bigger grips made for it. Any suggestions on where to find them?

Don't need to be fancy, just a good walnut working grip is what I want.

Nearly all the shooting I'll be doing with this gun will be with .45 ACP, as I've got a 5 gallon bucket of brass.

Thanks much,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well shucks, she couldn't stay all night.

Loaded the 22 cases I have. 14 with 260gr SWC's and the rest with 200gr REAL's, all charged with max, 6gr Red Dot.

Bet the light one's will make a bang without much recoil. The others should be a good heavy load.

I've never shot nor loaded a .45 before. This is all new to me. Been a long time loader though, since 1958.

Would appreciate some advice on this gun.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

I have a 45 Colt Blackhawk convertible as well. I have found that a lot of them need a little bit of work right out of the box. When I first bought mine it wouldn't group any better than 6" at 25 yds with any load. I reamed the cylinders (both the .45 Colt and ACP), did a trigger job, freespun the pawl, and put new grips on it and it will now shoot into an inch easily at 25 yds.

As far as loads, my standard plinking load is a 255gr SWC over either 8.0gr Universal Clays or 8.0-10.0gr Unique. I have found that if you push fast powders in this cartridge you will get leading. Keep it mild and you shouldn't have problem. Another of my all time favorite loads is 18.5gr #2400 over the 255gr SWC (super accurate load). I also shoot and hunt with a lot of the heavy loads also. My favorite hunting bullets were the ones that Lynn Halstead casted at Dry Creek Bullet Works but I don't think he is casting any longer. Using a 325gr Keith bullet I have had good luck with it over either 22.0gr H110 or 20.0gr of Lil'Gun. Either load will give over 1,200fps and hits very hard on both ends. For the heavy loads I have come to like Lil'Gun over H110/WW296, I have had really good luck with it. Good luck.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wycocowboyshooter, you are not shooting anywhere near the potential of the 45LC. As someone mentioned, around 22 grains of H110 and 300gr. lead bullets will get your attention!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26 gr. of H110 and a 250 gr. XTP will make you forget how much a .44 magnum recoils.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote