Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 40SW
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy a 40 cal pistol. Not as a "conceal" type weapon but just to shoot. I have not shot any yet, but want to get an idea of what the forum thinks of the beretta 96, springfield 40, and the EAA witness. I bring the EAA into the fold because it is $100 less than the other two and is the savings worth it. I would be up for other suggestions but wanted to limit my purchase to less than $550.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used S&W Sigma 40's are also available at a reasonable price, AND, have a fully supported chamber. I have one. Some folks are also in love with the CZ 40B.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

The EAA Witness is an excellent weapon, its very strong and reliable. I believe its based on the CZ frame and slide, also the Magnum Research Baby Eagle is basically the same gun with the safety in a different spot.

I have a glock 23 40SW and I love it. I paid 425.00 for it barely used.
The S&W Sigma series pistols are a great value but have very heavy triggers. The Sigma also breaks down just like the Glock, making it easy for cleaning. They are about 300.00 brand new.

But my question is why get a 40SW when you could get a 10MM and shoot low velocity loads comparable to the 40SW. Then if you want , you could get some hot loads comparable to the 357 Mag for hunting. Just amagine, 15 rounds of potent fire power coming from a Glock 10 MM!!!

Fordfreak

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!!!!

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a EAA Witness full size ploy frame 40 SW. It is a very good pistol. If you are planning to shoot IDPA with it you need to get the unported model.

I also own a Springfield XD40. It like it a lot. It has a Glock style trigger. Both pistols are accurate and would serve you well.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Refer to the thread titled '38 super' to hear more about the Witness.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Fordfreak, I am leaning toward the 40 because of the ammunition supply I have avaliable to me. Otherwise I would probably just buy a 9mm or other smaller caliber. For my hunting pistol I use a 44 mag.

What is a "fully supported chamber" and the advantages of having one or not having one?

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a "fully supported chamber" and the advantages of having one or not having one

Some autoloading pistols, most notably Glock, but they are far from the only ones, have the feed ramp actually partly into the chamber. IOW, the top of the feed ramp actually ends in front of the extractor groove of the chambered cartridge. The oft repeated criticism is that this exposes the potential for the brass to overexpand/rupture because upon firing it is 'unsupported' by the chamber.

Dean Spier of THEGUNZONE is one of the kings of criticizing Glock for this design. He has a bunch of pictures on his website that show it.

In all reality, it is only an issue for reloaders who like to load hot, and then a bigger problem in 40S&W.

I reload a 40S&W Glock (model 22) for years, and know of many who do the same with NO issues...but then again I load light for ease in volume shooting!

Unless you are a hotrodder forget about all the unsupported talk, IMHO of course.

As to the original question, you didn't mention Glock, but I love my Glock 22! I'm well over 10k rounds and I have only owned it half of its life...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I won a CZ 75B in .40 S&W and think it is an excellent pistol with the following advantages (for me) over other choices: all steel (mine is blued and I like the looks), option between cocked and locked single action or double-action first round (since I train also with a 1911, the cocked and locked SA feature facilitates training routines), price.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not disagreeing with CDH. Having said that, the 40S&W is a high pressure round, and there have been several documented KB's with this round. While the causes have not all been determined, during research, it has been shown, by Hirtenberger I believe, that setting back the bullet 1/10" (one tenth of an inch) can double the pressure from 35Kpsi to 70Kpsi. this setback can occur during feeding, either by inadequate crimping, or by frequent chambering of rounds from the magazine. Again, not trying to start an argument, but the round is a high pressure round and has a short case, leaving less room for error. Another cause of KB's in the 40S&W is, I believe, having the gun be able to fire with the round not fully chambered ie. not (fully) in battery. Just stating this for what it is worth. I reload for the 40 VERY carefully. It is not your fathers 45ACP!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a single action type I would get a BHP...Peter is right about it being a high pressure cartridge nad a little less forgiving .But understanding the details of the cartridge and being careful in reloading will deal with the problem. Over all it's a fine cartridge.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I'm not disagreeing with anything Peter is saying...but I believe the 'danger' of the 40S&W and Glocks in particular are overstated.

There have been documented blowups with all types of pistols in all calibers, even the revered 45ACP in 1911 styles. There's no system out there idiot proof.

Yes the 40 is a high pressure round, but so it the 357Sig, 38 super, 9mm, 45GAP, 45super, and many others. All are similarily vulnerable/sensitive to bullet slipping.

Like mete says...it is all about knowing the quirks and limitations of your chosen hardware. Don't be afraid, do be careful...but that is good advice for ANY shooting activity.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Of the ones you mentioned I would probably go w/ the Springifield XD. I've heard some negatives about the 96 & Witness makes a good pistol, but I've only fired one up in 9mm. I prefer the HK USP to any of those in a full size gun, but it's a bit pricey.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The I have had the chance to put the Beretta, Glock, Springfield, S&W clone of Glock, and Dawoo in my hand at a local gun shop. If I were to rate them by feel (grip), I would have to say the Beretta and the XD 40 felt the best. The Glock felt too "square" in the palm. I would like to find a EAA and a CZ75 to look at also. The idea the the XD40 comes with a holster, and three magazines seems like a good deal for the price.

I am getting the idea that I should stay away from the Beretta??

<cobra44>
posted
I own a EAA Witness Compact in 10mm Auto with a 40 S&W conversion slide that just droped in and shot fine, in my personal opinion the EAA is a very fine weapon but not the most popular, because people thing it is a cheap piece of imported junk far from the truth, it is patterened after the CZ-75 and has a good reputation in the European countries, the grip was a bit small on the conpact and the double action trigger was a bit long for my stubby fingers but both situation were taken care of by sliding a finger groove rubber grip over the stock one and carrying the weapon in standard cocked and locked position it worked very well. the trigger is about 4 pounds bit very managable and consistant, good shooter, 2 inch holes at 25 ft. no problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am another EAA lover and have owned a Sig 229 and a CZ 75 in 40 before trying the EAA in 10mm as an inexpensive test of what a 10mm is like in both factory and handloaded modes. I tried the 10 not so much for power as to get the flexibility and accuracy of the 10. Unless you are an expert pistol shooter, with an expensive 40, you will NOT shoot a 40 as well as a 10mm...it is a much more accurate round and comes in a wide array of factory loads that include many mild loads that generate little recoil.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I picked up a h&k .40 usp in the better end of a trade,,I love it,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Flame I know Sig now sells reconditioned pistols with the same warranty as new, I myself have a 226 and have never had a problem with it. For the the most part I only shoot reloads out of it an it has never once jammed and it is very accurate. The only problem is you might be pushing the 550 mark but I think the price is very close if I am not mistaken.

Posts: 37 | Location: Newton NH | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
I'd also be one to recommend a SIG. I have a P226 and a P229, both in .40SW, and they are great guns. As .40's go, they are very accurate, and they are very comfortable in the hand. They also have smooth triggers, even the initial double action trigger pull feels good and isn't too long. I also have a Beretta 96, and although it's a good gun, I much prefer the SIG. Good luck with your decision. Too bad you can't get them all!

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Beretta. The Witness' are made just a little cheap for my choice. A buddy of mine had one and had to send it back twice due to feeding problems. Even after all that, the gun wasnt 100% reliable, should I say 99%? Out of the box, I believe the beretta would be a more accurate weapon and maintain its value just as much as the XD.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i haven't put many rounds through mine, but my M&P smith is exceptionally comfortable and very accurate. i don't think i own a more comfortable pistol however.