New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star PD sight question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a star PD an like it a lot; the only negatives are the sights. I like the idea of adjustable sights but the ones on the PD are too small for my old eyes to see.

Are there any replacement fixed sights available that do not require a major conversion of the slide?

Was thinking night (3 dot) or ghost rear and post front would be nice.

Jim

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by your enquiry. I own a Star PD too and its front and rear sight width and depth are comparable with the issue sights on my Colt, S&W, etc. pistols. Maybe the answer to your problem could be a pair of shooting glasses.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, while the sights are adequate for bullseye shooting, I use the pistol as a concealed carry weapon which requires faster sight to target acquisition.

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
OK, I see. I doubt that "night sights" are available for this no longer made pistol. If not, maybe you could have the rear blade and front sight dimpled prior to filling the dimples with white or luminous paint. Before committing the works, you could even check the practicality of the project by putting dabs of paint on the sights.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the dimensions ? A concealsed carry gun doesn't have to be fancy. A patridge , 1/8" front , 1/8" rear slot with a fair amount of clearance and three white dots should do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly mete, but where to find a set that will fit into the factory machined slot or a pistol smith who has done this work before is the issue.

As to dimensions; they would be difficult for a non-machinist like myself to list.

Are you familiar with this model of the Star pistol?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really , it's been too long ago. I have though, hand made iron sights so it's not impossible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Thanks mete!

2) Anyone know of a pistolsmith knowledgeable and experienced with the Star PD pistol?

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might cosider is to paint the front sight a bright color, and open up the width of the rear sight notch.

This makes the front sight quicker and easier to see, and the wider rear notch makes it quicker and easier to find and center in the rear sight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
If you can remove the front and rear blades, leaving the rest of the sight in place you can copy the pattern but make it slightly higher and then dimple and fill with a fluorescent green paint or make a single bar of paint on the front sight and a bar of paint on either side of the slot of the rear sight. I made sights (the front and rear blades) for my pistol using nothing but hand tools and a little care. The stepped front factory sight would reflect badly and almost disappear on target. I made a front blade that angled back slightly (like a barb) so it doesn't reflect at all and always appears dark on target. The rear blade was made from 22 gauge sheet steel. I raised them slightly so I could acquire a sight picture easily. I had to reform the holster I made for it because the front blade was acting like a plane when I drew it taking the leather off bit by bit.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will try both options.

PaulS; Looking at the rear sight it appears that the sight blade is threaded to accommodate the windage adjustment screw. How did you accommodate this in the replacement blade you made?

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freestate101:
Thanks guys, I will try both options.

PaulS; Looking at the rear sight it appears that the sight blade is threaded to accommodate the windage adjustment screw. How did you accommodate this in the replacement blade you made?

The Ruger uses a a spring in the left side of the sight and the blade has a dovetail on the bottom. The right side of the dovetail is "sharpened" to a blade edge that catches in the set screw notches as it is turned. That provides for positive adjustments that stay locked in. If your sight has a threaded hole through the base of the blade then you will have to start with thicker material, bore and thread the hole first and then thin the thickness of the blade to match the existing blade with the modifications to height that you want. It can still be done with hand tools but you will have to work more carefully to get the sight square with the threaded hole.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I had the time to fool with things, I worked up a "ghost-ring" kind of replacement for the stock PD sight.
I took a piece of thin-wall 3/16(?) tube, cut off a piece about 1/4" long and milled a slit just slightly larger then the rear sight blade on the PD.
Then I pressed the slit down over the blade so that you end up with the sight notch surounded by the ring - which fades as you focus on the front sight.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this takes me back awhile, but i remember fitting a set of pachmayer adjustable lo profile sights to star pd and firestar series. i tig welded a piece of steel to the top of the front sight to raise it to proper levels. I can't remember the fit of the dovetails on the rear, but i do remember it was fairly close

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your information, I will give it a shot.