Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Magnum Colt King Cobra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted
I have a Colt King Cobra that was left to me after my father died. Its a 2" snub, stainless and has less that 100 rounds through it. Ive shot it and while its a great home defense gun, the short barrel makes it a joke at the range. Id like to put a 6" barrel on it. How hard(really) would it be to find a barrel and change it out?

Bear in mind, Ive never done this before and my feelings won't get hurt if you say, "take it to someone who knows what they are doing"

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
Changing the barrel on a Colt isn't a do-it-yourself job. It requires lathe work to match the new barrel to the frame. I've been a toolmaker for many years, and never felt like taking on the task of rebarreling a revolver. By the time you pay to have it done, you'll have almost half the cost of another pistol in it. If it had not belonged to your father, I would have suggested that you try to trade it for a 6". Trading would the the cheapest method for a longer barrel.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Nashcat,

That's why I come on here, for the good advice. My dad had a .38 special that he asked me to sell for him and get him the 357. He wanted the 2" barrel as it would fit in his cigar box next to his bed as a home protection. I tried to get him to go with the 4" or 6" but he wouldn't have it. Now its 15ish years old, and has limited usability. I think it would be a great gun, loaded down with .38sp loads for my 12 year old. But with the 2" barrel it really snaps on recoil and you cant hit anything beyond 10-15 yards

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hughiam:
Nashcat,

That's why I come on here, for the good advice. My dad had a .38 special that he asked me to sell for him and get him the 357. He wanted the 2" barrel as it would fit in his cigar box next to his bed as a home protection. I tried to get him to go with the 4" or 6" but he wouldn't have it. Now its 15ish years old, and has limited usability. I think it would be a great gun, loaded down with .38sp loads for my 12 year old. But with the 2" barrel it really snaps on recoil and you cant hit anything beyond 10-15 yards

Hugh

Hugh I'm not being funny but i have a Ruger speed 6 with 2 1/2" barrel and can bust clay's at 25 yards with all day! try some soft .38 reload's and lots of practice for your 12 year old. the colt is a nice gun it would be a shame to change it!

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mate,

I think it can be a "fun" gun and my boy loves to shoot. He has a little .22 auto rifle that we have shooting contests with. We shoot thumb tacks at 25 yards and he really loves it.

But he gets frustrated when he misses and the short aiming length on a 2" barrel is frustrating for him.

But at least we get to shooot together.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a 3" ruger service six; understand the frustration! shoot it off a pistol rest to get use to where the front sight should be on target at 15 yds. also it is helping me shoot better using 2 hands. started at 7 yds, working on 15 yds. i use 38 spl. wadcutter reloads, good training for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has sentimental value, I would accept what it is. Use it as is or make it a safe queen. Someday you may need a bedside gun. If not, I agree it would be a lot easier to sell and buy what you want.

No doubt about it, small short revolvers don't aim as well as full size ones. But they do fit in cigar boxes!

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote