THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Spring weight for Major power loads?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring weight for Major power loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I know that different guns perform a little different but as a rule, what lb. recoil spring do you use in your 1911 45acp when using major power loads? I'm shooting 230gr cast bullets at target velocity rounds and the factory (16#?) recoil spring seems just about right that the gun functions perfect and the slide is hardly wearing the buffer in hundreds of rounds. When shooting light loads the empties are within a few feet of me and in a small area. When I shoot hardball loads they could be anywhere.

By the way, It's a 5" 1911 gov. model in 45acp and am currently running 230gr cast bullets at 710fps.

Thank all.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Back when I shot IPSC I got a assortment of recoil springs from Wolff
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#1911Recoil

I had a 14 or 15#(it was a while ago) for my wimpy IPSC loads and a 16# spring for everything else.

The kit allows you to tune your gun to specific loads

Your gun might need an 18# spring to get regular loads to run right.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote