New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 pistols
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I personally, prefer and shoot only Colts. These are target pistols built by Clark Custom Guns. If I wanted a carry 1911, I'd at a 5" Springfield (the least expensive one) and send it to a good pistolsmith for ajustable sights, a trgger job, and have him make sure of the reliability. Email me at gunmaker48@yahoo.com if you want to, and I'll give you some other suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Carry guns don't need adustable sights.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 28 December 2009 21:57 Hide Post

Why?? even if my target is 7 feet away I want the bullet to hit where i'm aiming, & frequently fixed sights don't do that

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You could always carry a Colt Gold Cup National Match, adjustable sights, adjustable trigger and fully accurized.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:

I agree. I have many diff pistols for hunting & SD. Just about everything shoots POA/POI @ 7yds at least for me. An adjustable sight on a fighting pistol is just something to get in the way or go bad at the wrong time IMO.
If you want a great carry 1911 out of the box, go S&W 1911PD. Comm length, scandium alloy frame & everything you need but night sites. I bought one for CCW & it has been 1000% reliable out of the box & the trigger is nice enough, I am just shooting in for CCW. At about $800, a good deal in todays factory 1911s.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
On my carry Colt and other guns I have non adjustable stock sights that are smooth as not to snag clothing. At 7 to 10 yds I can hit a silhouette target in the chest area with practiced point shooting. I wont say I would do this in an adrenaline situation as I probably would not have time to aim either. I pray I never have the chance to find out. Just my 2 cents!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
You could always carry a Colt Gold Cup National Match, adjustable sights, adjustable trigger and fully accurized.

clap rotflmo

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
45 acp is the only way to go as it will put energy of the old colt 45 out with the speed of lightening with practice. model of 1911 is the last real feeling pistol that has graced my hands...not lite nor sexy...just a real feeling pistol that has been around since 1909 or so.
i read a lot of articles about the newer pistols that are dbl action for the first then go single action...so much to remember and go wrong in a time of great need of simple.
i currently shoot a springfield that came to me decked out with more stuff then i ever would have invested in but WOWWWWW. what a pistol and never never never hangs up. ive shot it dirty for 5 or 6 hundred rounds just to see if it would put up with my very worst senario and bingo never missed a beat. burnt powder all over the place and my hands turning black and yet never missed a tick.
had to put in my two c's
ted

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why?? even if my target is 7 feet away I want the bullet to hit where I'm aiming, & frequently fixed sights don't do that

Most defense shooting is inside 7 paces. If it's not, you have the legal obligation to retreat in most states.

At 7 paces, I can hit a pie plate without sighting at all. Point/shoot.

I have several pistols with fixed sights. You learn fast to "hold over" on the blade according to your range.

That said, I have two 1911's:

Springfield Mil Spec. Sight is adj. for windage.

Springfield Ultra Compact, "Loaded" w/ Bomar night sights, Videki trigger, etc.

Never a burp from either in thousands of rounds. Out of the box.

Seems like Colt started installing a lot of "proprietary" stuff on their 1911 -- which made it no longer "drop in" on a lot of after market items -- trigger and hammer linkages mostly.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:
Most defense shooting is inside 7 paces. If it's not, you have the legal obligation to retreat in most states.
mostly.

I doubt that. If you are under attack, you are under attack, whether that is contact distance or 50yds. I don't think you can outrun a bullet. An old person can not outrun a younger person. At 21ft, an attacker armed w/ a knife can cover that distance in 1.5 sec. There is no distance at which you must retreat. You either have a right to SD in your state or you don't.
I do agree, at 7ft, I don't need sights either. Hell, you are almost shaking hands w/ the BG! Point & shoot.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to think of my shooting as "offensive" not "defensive", if whoever or whatever it is has created a situation where I have a gun in my hand, then there are only two options, retreat on his/its part, or, if it escalates at all, I'm going to do my absolute best to kill them, right now, right there. Luckily, I'm not a LEO which places some restraints on their ability to shoot in self defense. Luckily, I also live in Texas which places considerably less restraint on my ability to protect myself, my family, other people or my things than many other states. All that is a good thing, IMO.

I often hear people BSing about how I'd shoot that burglar, etc. Years back, I had the chance, kid, probably a doper, was stealing my, well actually part of, my stereo set up, he was in my apartment, I walked in, really by accident carrying my pistol from the car, and there he was, I yelled, "Stop" and he dropped the amp, and hit the window he came in. I had a clear shot at his back, and, of course, wouldn't take it. I'm pretty hard core, but I'm not going to kill someone over a few hundred dollars worth of stuff. OTOH, if he scares me, or I think is a threat to my family, I'd kill him in a second.

I've used numerous 1911s, still like them, and have plenty of them, including at least 2 Clarks, but almost all of my home and vehicle first line defensive pistols are now Glocks. I've had lots of 1911s fail to feed or lock up over the years, so far, never had that happen with a Glock. Target shooting, fun shooting, I'll take a 1911 everytime, but for home defense, pistolwise, I use my Glocks.

And, I hasten to add, I'm not trying to start a Glock-1911 pissing match, I like both of them but I use the Glocks for one simple reason.....I've trained my wife and kids on them, they don't have to think "take the safety off", etc, they just aim and shoot. If it's a Glock around me, it's loaded.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Why?? even if my target is 7 feet away I want the bullet to hit where i'm aiming, & frequently fixed sights don't do that[/QUOTE]

I beg to disagree. My 2 Colt 70 in .45 ACP have fixed sights that shoot to point of aim at 50 m. When I had the factory sights replaced, the new front sights were deliberately left too high, so that I could file them down when sighting in the pistols.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker48:
If I wanted a carry 1911, I'd at a 5" Springfield

Just curious. Do you have anything against the Colt Defender or New Agent? I carried my 1991A1 for a while OWB, but the Defender was perfect for IWB. And a good excuse to get another Colt.

As for the Gold Cup, I can't bring myself to carry it around and take a chance on it getting dinged or scratched. I'd never forgive myself. And I'm pretty sure that even out to 25ft, I'm gonna just point and shoot.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote