THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Shooting 38Special and 357 at the same time

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting 38Special and 357 at the same time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does it hurt the cylinder or rifling at all to go back and fourth between 357 mag and 38 special loads in the same shooting session? I am using the same bullet for both. (Hornady 125 grain JHP)??? I ask this because I was doing this out of my Ruger SP101 and found metal shavings while I was cleaning the gun. I now have a GP100 and don't want to take a chance of hurting the rifling...Thanks for the information

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Nope, it doesn't hurt a thing, however, the .38 specials might build up a little carbon ring that will make the .357's fit tight. I just take a cylinder brush along, and knock it out when I switch to .357's.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have no affect at all, but why do it? Don't they shoot to different points? As to the dreaded carbon ring, a favorite topic of the gun writers, I have personally never experienced something like this hindering the chambering of a 357 mag. case. Perhaps because I clean my guns? Maybe after several thousand rounds of 38spl. without cleaning the chanbers one might experience this.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.. I don't really ever have much of a problem with carbon rings. I do notice a the rounds going in a little tight as my reloads with HS6 have been really dirty. I will be switching powder as soon as this bottle is gone....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bloodhound, what loads were you shooting with HS6? I was shooting some 125gr JHPs with HS6 in a GP100 when it started showing pressure signs and the cylinder wouldn't turn easily.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sputser... For 38Special I was using 5.7 grains of HS6 and a 158 Cast SWC bullet. For 357 I was using 10.1 grains of HS6 with a 125g JHP Hornady XTP. I like the 357 loads, I do not like the HS6 for light 38 Special loads (losts of unburned powder).. My Favorite 357 load so far is 12.3g of Accurate #7 with the XTP bullet.
I also shoot all these out of a 4" GP100