New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 952
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have first hand experience with these guns? I am, of course, interested in accuracy. Group sizes at 25 and 50 yards would be appreciated.
Thanks, peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BEJ! I forgot about those guys. I'm even a member over there!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been using for a bit now, the 952 as you probably know is just a 52. i don't believe that my 952 will shoot as well as my old 52, but i wouldn't expect any 9mm to shoot alsoside of a 38 spcl. just to much pressure difference. It is however by far the best 9mm accuracy pistol out there. so far as group sizes go, the 52 was guaranteed for 10 ring, and would do that, but with my old eyes I just can't see the sights on the 952 well emough anymore to do that with any consistency

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill say good and bad. I shoot cast bullets and my 952 just wasnt a cast bullet gun. It was just to finky with bullet size and designs. It would shoot into 1.5 at 25 with good jacket loads but even then handloading for it was a chore as you had to be very careful with seating dept and bullet alignment. I used it for a season shooting ppc and just got tired of all the quirks. I now shoot a sti trojan in 9mm and it is the most reliable semi auto i have. It eats about anything. Even really light loads with the right springs and has proven to be more accurate then the 952 was with its best loads. Another problem i have with them is the backward safety. Its tough when your used to 1911s to switch back and forth. They make the saftey right on the .45s and i cant see why they dont on the 9mm. If a guy wants to shoot competion with one and use only quality factory ammo it would probably be the best 9 out there but im not rich and cant afford to practice and compete with factory ammo.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, do you shoot IDPA or USPSA at Gateway? I can bring my 952 down and let you shoot it if they'll let us.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kend. I used to shoot IPSC at Gateway in the old days. I don't any more, but still shoot a lot at Gateway. I was interested in the 952 as I wanted a target quality 9mm. hence my question about group sizes at 25 and 50. I have a 38Super for IPSC. Let me know when you are coming down and I will stop over and visit and at least take a look at it. Maybe shoot it at the bullseye range?
Thanks, Peter.