THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Best Compensator for a Colt Commander?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Compensator for a Colt Commander?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks, I have this very old Commander .45 I picked up for a song. I am used to shooting a Series '70 MkIV Govt .45 model which is comped -a smooth shooting gun.

The Commander is dinky but it kicks like a mule in comparison. I'm not worried about carry/concealment. Is there a good drop-in comp system available for the Commander? I'd prefer a bushing type comp as opposed to Cone type - I don't want to get into a lot of gunsmithing work.

Cheers

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Pete, I'm no expert on compensators. However, I have tried a bushing type comp and compared with the barrel fixed comp and there ain't no comparison, as they say. The bushing comp slides back and forth with the slide, setting in motion all this extra weight. I found that, to put it bluntly, it didn't work.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink,

Actually the bushing type comp I am thinking of is the one where there is a comp screwed onto the barrel, but it is held in position by a normal bushing captive on the portion of barrel between the comp and the chamber. I think Clark used to sell them. The comp you refer to I have used before on a Gvt Model (I think it was a King's) We used to call them "Apple Corers". As I recall it worked very well for me, just too long.

Cheers

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,Have you checked Brownell's?They have a large selection of 1911 accessories.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote