THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Cases hitting me in the forehead...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cases hitting me in the forehead...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Well I think it is because I tend to load light, but humor me with your opinion to the cause...

About half the cases from my Glock 22 are thrown more back than to the side. It is a rare 15 round mag that doesn't hit me somewhere in the face at least once. I THINK it is from the cases bouncing off the bottom of the ejection port and coming up and back, where full power rounds would be thrown hard enough to deform the mouth and keep moving out...my reloaded cases do not show the mouth dings that factory ammo will.

2 favorite loads:
4.2-4.4 grains Hodgdon Universal, 200 grain Ranier plated, Fed 100 primer.

5.6 grains VN340, 180 JHP, Fed 100

What can I do, besides loading heavier (or shooting a different pistol Big Grin)?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, do both factory and handloaded cases hit you in the face? You say that your reloads do NOT show dings in the case.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I shot any factory ammo, but I do not recall that problem when I did. I do remember reading up about relieving the ejection port to eliminate the mouth dings, but since dings never bothered me or my loading, I quit worrying about it a long time ago.

In truth I don't notice it much with the 180 grain loads, but recently I started experimenting with the 200 grain bullets (found a good deal and got a couple thousand) and it became more serious. I recall it happening some before though, but not every session, much less ever 10 rounds or so.

I do distinctly recall having to chase factory fired brass a lot farther though...maybe the faster ejection would sling them over my head instead of into my face...

Something about occasionally getting under the collar of the shirt really makes such things stick in your head... Big Grin

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting serious loads, have you upgraded the spring? I have a EAA Witness and I use a 22 pound spring. Perhaps that would help. Are there marks on the frame of the gun? That should tell you where it is hitting.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's either your grip or your extractor. Does it happen to other shooter using your pistol? If so, I'll bet your extractor has a burr or needs a bit of angle change.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charcoal burner
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that had a Colt Commander in the brushed stainless finish( I called it a pimp gun)and he had the same problem it was in 45 acp, and it did it with both factory and reloaded ammo, as I recall he changed the ejector and had the springs changed to a heavier weight as he tried to hot rod it, more than I would have, I don't know if this is helpful, but couldn't help but think of the 3 of us that all got smacked in the forehead with that thing one afternoon long ago.

Posts: 150 | Location: Wyomin' | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote