Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 625 .45 ACP/Auto Rim
 Login/Join

posted
I'm wanting to shoot with my son, who shoots a Sig .45. I've fired his pistol, but really like revolvers a lot more than autos. (Son has offered to load a LOT of rounds for me, if I shoot .45 Auto.)

What's your opinion on the S&W 625 in .45 ACP?

What is a good price for a used 625? I saw one for $580. Is that reasonable?

All advice welcome.

TIA, Neil

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" M625, nice shooter, moon clips are nice. You can find them in 3", 4" & 5". I had the 5", traded it for the 4" & wouldn't mind a 3". $580 is a bit high for a used one. You can find them new for that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option might be to go to a gun show and find either an old 1917 or New Service in 45acp. I had a New Service in 45 colt with a spare cylinder for 45acp. But, I did not use it as much as I thought: I just cannot shoot a revolver as well as a 1911.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or look around a bit and for 550-650 you can find a nice of model 25 smith. It will be the target model and usually smooth as a babys butt. then looking around a bit more you should be able to find some 45 autorim cases. My old 1955/25 smith was a shooters dream. then in a fit of whatever I traded it off for something else. (read large tears) CRYBABY boohoo bewildered

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
45AR brass is readily available from Starline & RP on occasion. Load them the same as 45acp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also just stock up on full-moon clips and get a de-mooner tool to get the brass out of the clips for the 45 ACP rounds. If you get a 45 Smith, and your son offers to reload for you, the rounds MUST be rolled crimped or you'll have bullet pull which will affect accuracy.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one with a 5" barrel.I shoot mostly Auto Rim brass, 200 LSWC, 5.7 grains W231, but it will also handle loads too hot for an auto.
Great gun!

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
probably one of the most versitile wheelguns ever made!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've got a Model 25 and a Model 625. Love them both, very accurate. Kind of hefty to use as a carry gun though and you wouldn't be able to sit down comfortably (with a 4 or 5 inch barrel) unless you had a cross-draw holster.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry various N-frame pistolas in 4" barrels w/o any problems. Something that heavy needs a solid belt and a very good holster to mitigate the weight so you'll won't feel it at all. My favorite was a Mod 58 41 Mag that I should've kept. That's life.

Lo do they call to me,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up 1500 .452 / 200gr SWC from AR Classified; sure hope my 625 - 5" likes them!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:
Just picked up 1500 .452 / 200gr SWC from AR Classified; sure hope my 625 - 5" likes them!

Only thing wrong w/ lswc in the 625 is getting them into the cyl. I like RNFP or RN better, accuracy will be fine w/ either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neil
I have shot a S&W Mod 25 in 45 ACP quite a bit.
I used Auto Rim brass some, but mostly used ACP Brass.

I used the half mood clips until the 1/3 moon clips [they hold 2 rounds], and the full moon clips were invented.

All the "moon clips" work just fine.

The S&W in 45 ACP is a great choice for a revolver.

I always wished I had a 4" to go with my 6.5".

The 625 would be a great choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a new 45 revolver called the Micelic Special(sp) with a 4" barrel. Looks like I'll have to get one as it'll just fit over the hip with a new holster.

Lo do they call to me,

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:
Originally posted by Mulerider:

Only thing wrong w/ lswc in the 625 is getting them into the cyl. I like RNFP or RN better, accuracy will be fine w/ either.

I had a gunsmith chamfer the the chamber rims on the cylinder and SWC's will slip in much easier. It's a very simple thing to do and helps with fast reloads.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25-2 [the 45acp in Chrome Moly steel, the 625 is stainless steel.]

I have been shooting 24 gr H110 with 230 gr FMJ in 45 auto rim brass with Lee factory crimp at 1.4" OAL.

This is more velocity and less pressure than the 460 Rowland conversion at Clark Custom Guns and factory ammo.

The cylinder has thin wall spots at .065".
That thinness combined with the large inside diameter of the chamber makes for lots of stress in the steel chamber wall. So I wanted to keep the pressure down.

This trick of longer over all length, lower pressure, higher velocity, is only possible because the cylinder is longer than the 1.275" possible in a 1911 magazine.

The Lee Factory crimp keep the bullets from pulling out under recoil, when not crimped into a canalure.

To answer your question, the 25-2 has not gone to the range much with me. In revolvers I prefer 1873 Colt clones in 45LC, Colt Police Positives converted to 357mag, and S&W 29s in 44mag.
I like guns that kick hard, but the handloading must be fast.

But I have a friend who shoots his S&W 625 all the time. He shoots factory 45acp ammo and likes to make small groups or make pop cans roll.
It has wimpy recoil, but he likes that.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24 grains H110 in Auto Rim brass!?!? Must be a typo.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is not a typo.
A 45auto rim case hold 37 gr of H110, but I have to make room for the bullet, and H110 has a high bulk modulus.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
That is not a typo.
A 45auto rim case hold 37 gr of H110, but I have to make room for the bullet, and H110 has a high bulk modulus.

Sorry Mr. T, I'm calling bull on this one. I just measured out some H110 in my RP 45ar brass. It is quite full w/ 27gr, maybe 27.5 w/ a drop tube. As usual, your info. can't be duplicated by a normal handloader. It would be best if you didn't put out fiction as fact. shame In 45winmag brass that load would be pushing 25,000cup & 45super only runs about 20,000cup. So what does your pressure gear tell you you are running in you M625? bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neil
Did you get a 45 ACP S&W?

If so how does she shoot.

You can "juice" up the revolver a bit with AR Brass, see the Speer No9 loading manual...

But do not try to make a 44 Mag out of it.

A 45 ACP S&W is a great choice, just do not overdo it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote