THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Bought a fairly rare Browning HP today, a Clark Custom.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a fairly rare Browning HP today, a Clark Custom.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pretty cool, blued, tiger toothed stippled, very nice trigger with less take up than most other customs, crisp but slightly heavier than a good 1911. Marked "Clark" Custom Keithville, La. 71047

I've been around Clark's work all my life and I didn't even know he ever worked on BHPs. After checking the web, he apparently did a few back in the 70s and maybe up to the 80s. This pistol has a 76 serial number, which is also a bit strange because they changed the numbering system in 75 but this has the pre-75 numbers starting with 76.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Post a photo when you get a chance, please. I am intrigued by the 'tiger-toothed' stippling.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not going to post a pic, because it is too much trouble, I don't do pics under normal circumstances, unless I can find one that shows it and that makes it easy to post one. Otherwise it's set up and take a decent pic, dl to computer, ul to photoshop, etc and I'm on satellite data restriction at the moment and can't really do that. The only real difference between this gun and a regular blued BHP is the stippling, which wouldn't show up well, and the Clark logo on right side of slide. Seems like a different rear sight as well, but I am not sure what kind. Back then, many used Smith adjustable revolver sights, but I am not sure of this one.

Tiger-tooth stippling is simply using a sharp chisel like tool to raise the metal, leaving a sharp projection (the tiger's tooth), usually in rows, if done by a good gunsmith. It is out of favor now, because it is tough on the hands if you shoot the gun a lot. Some people like it, many don't. Probably has a lot to do with how tough the skin on the shooter's hands is.

Found one if it comes thru: (obviously because it is stainless or whatever and because it is a 1911, it is not my gun, but the stippling shows up better in this pic anyway)

I wasn't big buddies with Jim Clark, but I knew him and we talked (like he did with most of his customers) from time to time, mostly while he was still in Keithville. Helluva nice guy. The world of guns lost a treasure when he died. I also shot against his son Jimbo on several occasions. Another one lost way too soon. His daughter, Kay, and her husband Miculek (sp) are carrying on the tradition, but I've never been to their new shop in Princeton, La.

FWIW, I think Austin Behlert's (RIP) stippling is more user friendly than Clark's while still helping with the grip. On the ones I have, the whole surface is roughed up, but doesn't have the sharp points.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew a shooter with 1911 stippling more pronounced than that .He did admit that after a long match his hand was bleeding ! cuckoo
My pistols are all done with FLAT TOP checkering. Very secure without damage to hand or clothing when carrying !! Big Grin