Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Arms
 Login/Join

posted
Is it true that Colt Arms is not selling there guns to the public anymore? just to military, police, and government type orginations.

3n1

Posts: 7 | Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA | Registered: 08 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I was told that. I am not sure it is true.
They have not made anything I would have had
since the 70 .45.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I know they are selling their SAAs to the public, and I happen to see some 1911's at our local gun shop not long ago. I think they are no longer selling their pythons, anacondas, or AR's to the public anymore.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless they stopped recently Colt still produces and sells their SA'a and 1911's to the public. The last Python was made in 2005 and it was a collectors valued at $50k. They do not produce DA revolvers any longer.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go on their website, they still list AR-15's available. I can't remember the website, but there are two of them. If you type in Colt Manufacturing you get the LE/Military only. You have to search for the "civilian" site.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Colt m-4 3 weeks ago -- so, I would put this down to "urban myth".

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An unconfirmed but highly reliable source tells me that Colt has been purchased by Taurus. It can only help.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually it's not an urban myth. There was a time that Colt did not produce their AR platform for sale to the public and it was not advertised for sale to the public. It's been added to their site this year.

I don't see how being bought out by Taurus is going to help Colt unless they start to produce handguns like they used to. I think the market is there and it not uncommon to see $1k guns sold every day. S&W does it with their PC shop by providing what the buyer wants or at least appeals to them. I've bought five of them the last couple of years. They may not be what I REALLY want but it's the best that's available. It may help Taurus if they up their QC but the general public is not going to accept a substitute for the Python or Anaconda and knowing that they're owned by someone else will only prolong their demise. The buy out didn't help Winchester when they went to USRAC and now they're gone. They stopped making what everyone wanted but to what cost? American gun buyers have this thing about being loyal to tradition when it comes to gun manufacturers but we've also proven that we will pay for quality. Sadly they've replaced the skilled artisans and craftsmen for faster CNC machinery and plastic and the craftsmanship is gone. When was the last time you saw a new beautiful blued revolver with wooden grips? The firearms market is turning into a field of dreams and very few want to sow it. Polymer may be the future but it will never have the beauty of an old Colt revolver. It's a buyers market now and if Colt had tried to at least be innovative, the Double Eagles were a flop, they may have been able to hold their share of the market. You can't continue to ride on your name simply because you made two guns the public wanted, namely the Python and 1911.
Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but for most it doesn't serve as a substitute. The same thing applies to items made in Japan or anywhere else in the world. It doesn't matter WHO made it if it's stamped with "Made in Japan". That's just how we are. Or am I alone in this?

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC:
Unless they stopped recently Colt still produces and sells their SA'a and 1911's to the public. The last Python was made in 2005 and it was a collectors valued at $50k. They do not produce DA revolvers any longer.

And a damned shame, too. My 45 colt anaconda is bar none the nicest revolver I've ever owned.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ditto on the Anaconda in 45LC. Mine has the 4" barrel.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote