Find
Notify
Tools

41 Mag - 1, Copperhead - 0
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted
Snakes are out and about now here in Georgia. Came up to my back door steps and a 4 1/2 ft copperhead was on the steps. After I came back down to earth, dang snake went under my truck. Couldn't get him out, no way, no how. So, I pulled my 41 mag Blackhawk out and gave him a proper attitude adjustment. Don't get in my way of getting in my house. He was on the 3rd step and I was on the first step when I saw him. I jumped and he slithered under my truck. I cussed and threw stuff at him trying to get him out in the open. Oh well, snake is dead and truck is none the worse for wear. 210gr JHP works wonders on a snake Big Grin

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't they make shot cartridges for the 41 ? BOOM

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any factory snake shot. I have made my own in the past. However, you use what you have on hand at the time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use whats in the gun at the time I was in TX hunting hogs when a 5 footer decided he didn't like me a 315WFN at 1300fps split his head in too ended his trouble right there.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am different, but the only snake I will kill is the one that actually threatens me and won't leave. And the only species I know of that regularly does that is the cottonmouth moccasin. The rest, if given a way out, will usually leave, like the copperhead did.

To me, snakes serve their purpose. They are to be respected, like loaded firearms, but typically they aren't going to harm you if given the chance to get away, cottonmouths being the exception. Or at least that has been my experience.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand you may not have measured him exactly, but 4 1/2 feet would be pushing the world record for length of a copperhead. That is a HUGE copperhead.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I understand you may not have measured him exactly, but 4 1/2 feet would be pushing the world record for length of a copperhead. That is a HUGE copperhead.

I didn't measure him however he was on my back door steps which are 48" wide. His head was off the right side and his tail was not completely on the left side. Yes, he was a huge copperhead. He was definitely in excess of 4 ft. I've killed copperheads before but those were from 2 1/2 ft up maybe 3 1/2 ft. This one was large.

BTW, thanks for your politeness. That was a very tactful way to question my judgement of his length, seriously. I posted this on a local forum, and those guys had me killing a garden hose.

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I guess I am different, but the only snake I will kill is the one that actually threatens me and won't leave. And the only species I know of that regularly does that is the cottonmouth moccasin. The rest, if given a way out, will usually leave, like the copperhead did.

I have my Dad living with me who is in the middle stages of dementia. I was not willing to take the chance of him running across the copperhead. He loves to sit outside on the porch where the snake was on the steps. Sorry, my concern in this case for my Dad outweighs concern for the snake.

But, I understand what you are saying about snakes having a place in nature. God put them here and they do have a purpose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your father's health is paramount, obviously. I was not aware of that fact. I certainly didn't hold you in judgment, and I hope it didn't come across that way. I have just become more tolerant as I have gotten older...

Best regards; enjoy your father's company while he is here.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Your father's health is paramount, obviously. I was not aware of that fact. I certainly didn't hold you in judgment, and I hope it didn't come across that way. I have just become more tolerant as I have gotten older...

Best regards; enjoy your father's company while he is here.

Thanks Doubless. No offense taken. I was just explaining the situation. Normally I let all non poisonous snakes live and don't go out of my way to kill poisonous ones. I just don't want poisonous snakes in my yard because of Dad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a very tactful way to question my judgement of his length, seriously.

I am widely known on these forums for my tact and diplomacy......... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote