New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 45 ACP brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there anything different about this brass? I have some range pickups and the primer pockets seem to be too small. Anyone else have any experience with this, and how was it resolved?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard diameter small pistol .175" , large pistol .210".
At one time Frankfort Arsenal made special .204".
I don't know of any others .

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to watch all 45 ACP pickup brass. The vast majority of it is large pistol, but there are a few makers that had small primer pockets in theirs. Out of the last 1000 I got from my local range, probably 10% had small primer pockets. It just is.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I have never ever seen 45ACP brass with small pistol primers. I will deprime some and measure!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well mete, you answered my question 19 minutes after I posted it!!! I deprimed one case and miked the spent primer....0.175! I have deprimed and primed all the cases with small pistol primers. Makes sense to me as I never understood why a case like the 45 ACP needed a LP primer.
Thanks, Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that I think of it -- I'm no longer involved with bullseye shooting so I didn't remember all the changes.
Yes they sometimes are now using small primers for the 45acp !
Blazer aluminum cases can't be reloaded and to insure that you don't try they use an odd sized primer you can't buy ! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I was in a LGS yesterday looking for some plinking ammo for a new Glock 30 and looked at some Federal 230 FMJ stuff. The clerk asked me if I reloaded and I said yes and then he pointed to a sign that was posted on the wall that indicated that this run of Federal ammo was primed with small pistol primers.

I thought that was the right thing to do. To some lads it might not make any difference but to others it could be a factor. I picked up a box of the brass Blazer 230 FMJ instead.

So apparently it is still out there and would be a good idea to look at the ammo before you buy if that's a problem for you.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blazer changed their brass,it's now reloadable boxer primed brass case.

http://www.blazer-ammo.com/blazer_brass.aspx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did send federal an email and received a prompt response. They did make a run of brass for environmental reasons and used small pistol primers. I did reload these and they worked fine. I did not adjusted the powder charge.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
Blazer changed their brass,it's now reloadable boxer primed brass case.

I ran across range pickup blazer brass that has the small primer pocket.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, correct! I have reloaded some and it seems to work fine.
Peter.