THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast 45 Super ammo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast 45 Super ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
I bought 100 rounds of the Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast 45 Super ammo for my Springfield V16 LongSlide. The V16 was designed for the 45 Super round, andcame with two recoil springs one for 45 ACP and one for 45 Super. I've shot mild 45 Super handloads (230g GS at 1000 fps) through it for years along with 230g hardball. This ammo is a lot more powerful. The Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast ammo chrono'd at 1115 fps (plus or minus 10 fps) through my pistol. Advertised velocity was 1075 through a 5" barrel. It is easily the most accurate factory ammo I have shot through the V16 Longslide. I only fired about 30 rounds but had zero issues feeding/functioning. Recoil was about the same as my Springfield Pro shooting 230g bonded golden sabre's. All in all very impressed. It's definitely my hiking in bear country pistol/ammo combination now. I would only use this ammo in a pistol designed from the ground up for 45 Super, but that's just my opinion.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure that Buffalo Bore ammo is powerful. I first tried it in a Kimber 5 inch with a 20 pound recoil spring with varying results. After installing a 25 pound main spring [hammer spring] and a over size firing pin stop it seemed ok.

I tried it in a Glock 21and with the standard magazine spring and upon firing the top round in the mag would nose dive and not feed. After installing a stronger mag spring it works fine.

I do like the ammo however.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I was a little nervous about it, but since the V16 was built for the 45 Super and it came with two springs (one for 45 ACP one for 45 Super), I felt Ok to try it. The porting makes a huge difference as does the longer/heavier slide. Shot great, functioned perfectly, Too bad Springfield quit making the V16. It's a nice alternative to a heavier 41 or 44 mag revolver.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4770 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking to go a similar route. Have not considered a 45 super. Will have to look into it.
I like the Hot 10MM's. Was considering a new Razorback or Bruin from Dan Wesson. I have a Valor and really like 1911's.
The Glock 20 is also on my list as it is a real beater and 1/2-1/3 the cost of a DW.
I will look at the 45 super though.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
10mm is a nice round. Both the Glock and the Delta Elite are sweet. If you want to go the 45 Super route look for a Springfield V16. They were made for it. The recoil in my V16 with the Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast at 1075 fps is less than my all steel Springfield Pro shooting normal 230g Golden Sabres at 850 fps

Regards,

Chuck