New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a problem with a 13 year old Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded. I have used it in the past to fire numerous reloads and factory loads, cast and jacketed, and it shoots well for me. Lately I came across a good supply of Winchester 230gr JHP's that are not working well...they come out of the magazine fine and into the chamber, but the slide does not go all the way forward. These are reloads, using Winchester brass, Power Pistol powder, and are within OAL tolerance and the rest of the cartridge mikes out to the spec sheet.

I did fire them through my Glock 30SF with no problems, same thing through a friend's Taurus 1911, shot all rounds without a hitch, just not through my Springfield. Ideas?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sputster
There could be many things which could cause your problem, but I doubt anything is seriously wrong. First thing I would do is take the barrel out of the slide, drop the round into the chamber. It should go in freely and not extend out past the barrel hood.

After you get that done, let me know the results and I'll have some suggestions for you.
Phil

Posts: 358 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, will do.

sputster

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice, Phil - I did this and compared these rounds with three different factory rounds this way and it turned out that I didn't have enough taper crimp on the case. Also, I (carefully) took a probe and cleaned the angle in the chamber where the case mouth is stopped, as it had some gunk built up.

I have done this before, just missed it this time. Thanks for the assist.

sputster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it worked for you. FWiW, I crimp at .468.
Phil

Posts: 358 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote