New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berry's bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased some Berry bullets in 45 acp. These are 200 grain round shoulder bullets. I am having a problem with OAL as the bullet is very short. I called thier rep and was told to load these @ 1.140 OAL. I am experiencing failure to feed the first round. After the first round goes into battery it seems the rest are OK. Anyone use these? Thamks, smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I shoot Berry's 200gr HP out of my Kimber US Team Match II loaded @ 1.270". Feeding and accuracy is fabulous.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now how did u do that? I've asked and ASKED, but Halle wont do it!

quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
I recently purchased some Berry bullets in 45 acp. These are 200 grain round shoulder bullets. I am having a problem with OAL as the bullet is very short. I called thier rep and was told to load these @ 1.140 OAL. I am experiencing failure to feed the first round. After the first round goes into battery it seems the rest are OK. Anyone use these? Thamks, smoker

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juggernaut76, I guess the next obvious question is wether these two bullets are the same length. I'll check that out. Thank you, smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker1, the 200 grains will be shorter than the 230's and the 180's will be shorter still. I don't worry about OAL I just worry about feeding, so I just seat the bullets so that a small amount of lead is "higher" than the case, so that the lead touches the ramp first. Have never had any problems with this method.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter. My only concern was the scant amount of lead in the case. I use these for informal tactical shooting and are not powered too heavy. I'll try a few seated out a little further. Let you know how they feed. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
Juggernaut76, I guess the next obvious question is wether these two bullets are the same length. I'll check that out. Thank you, smoker

Actually, I've loaded everything from 185gr XTP's to 230gr FMJ's to this length-about the maximum allowable in a 1911 magazine. You shouldn't have any problem.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have got to get some loaded @ 1.270. My dies are set up for a 550B so I have actually got to set up and do it. If you looked at mine that are .130 shorter than yours you would just know you are in trouble. Got ~200 loaded at this length...should have trusted my instinct.

--Thomas Jefferson