Find
Notify
Tools

good carry pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm still a little more than a year from turning 21, but I'm already researching what pistol(s) I want to buy when I get my CHL. I plan on getting 2: one auto in .45 and a "mini revolover" made by North American Arms in .17 HMR for a boot gun. Since I already know what I'm getting as far as the boot gun is concerned, I just need some help with the big gun. I'm debating between 3 right now: Springfield XD compact, Kimber 1911 of some sort, or a Colt Defender. Anybody on here have experience with the Colt Defender? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Slayer, I've worked with all three and they're all top-shelf. Since I carried a 1911 most of my career, I favor that pattern simply because I don't have to get used to the XD-type trigger. Between the Colt and Kimber, I'd go with a Kimber Compact of some type. The biggest thing I think you should consider, however, is size and shape. I love 1911s but from what I remember of the weather in Killeen, TX, I think these would be a bit hard to conceal comfortably. North of the "Mason Dixon" I carry a Kimber Stainless Compact in a Mitch Rosen Rear Guard holster. The best pistol I found for my "Down South" carry was a Colt Pony Pocket Lite, but like a damn fool, I sold it. Currently, I carry a Seecamp .32 auto. Personally, I found myself leaving my 45s at home down south, as they were just too damn hard to conceal adequately with clothing that was seasonably comfortable. I'd rather have a .32 in my pocket than a 45 in my dresser drawer. Just me... hope this helps.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You should also consider the S&W 1911 compact with a Scandium frame. It is Colt Commander size and lightweight. If you are accustomed to the operation of the 1911 then it is a viable lightweight alternative to the larger and heavier 1911s. The one example I have shot at the range was very accurate and quite controllable.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well i've dealt with the kimber and colt and my personal preference is the kimber of the 3 but you can't go wrong with any of them

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried several and have stopped looking since I got a Kahr pm9. It's flat and small enough to carry in a front pocket holster that looks like a wallet. Very easy to carry every day.

I don't know about that 17 caliber. Most 'experts' recommend at least a 380.

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Steve Morgan:
I don't know about that 17 caliber. Most 'experts' recommend at least a 380.

Well I think a 17 gr. ballistic tip will do quite a bit more damage than a .380 FMJ.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Don't go shootin' me with your 17 cal! Eeker

Seriously, if you will just google 17 HMR for self defense and read what people say. I did and can't find a single person recommending one.

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've found over the years that there is no such thing as 1 carry gun. It all depends on what you are wearing. While you could get by with a colt patterson when you are wearing a heavy winter coat, it wouldn't work to well when you're in your summer tee shirt and shorts. so far as a 17 goes, if i had someone come into one of my classes with one I'd not give him the class, since a suitable firearm must be used.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started carrying over 30years ago every day. I carry glocks more then anything else now days.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i've found over the years that there is no such thing as 1 carry gun. It all depends on what you are wearing. While you could get by with a colt patterson when you are wearing a heavy winter coat, it wouldn't work to well when you're in your summer tee shirt and shorts. so far as a 17 goes, if i had someone come into one of my classes with one I'd not give him the class, since a suitable firearm must be used.

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I'm not going to use the .17 for the test. My mom already has a Springfield XD .45 full size that I can use to qualify. I am DEFINITELY getting the .17, no doubts about it. I have an Anschutz .17 target rifle and I can vouch for the energy it has when that little bullet hits a squirrel or a rabbit (or an unopened Dr. Pepper can Smiler).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a Charter Arms Bull Dog Pug .44 Special; lots of "juice" and easy to conceal. I occasionally carry a Kimber Custom 2 IWB successfully. I believe that the most difficult thing to conceal is the grip of a 1911, the barrel length isn’t really the biggest issue.

I would stay with Kimber or Springfield; I've read too many not so good stories and even reviews on the Colts. Colt makes a better collectors gun than a reliable carry weapon IMO. I’ll duck now as the Colt owners retaliate; I admit I don't own one or speak from experience, I’ve just read enough to not want to buy one.

Posts: 203 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I'm not going to use the .17 for the test. My mom already has a Springfield XD .45 full size that I can use to qualify. I am DEFINITELY getting the .17, no doubts about it. I have an Anschutz .17 target rifle and I can vouch for the energy it has when that little bullet hits a squirrel or a rabbit (or an unopened Dr. Pepper can Smiler).

Try shooting a soda can with that little N. American in 17 caliber and see the dramatic difference in performance between it and the rifle. So would you be comfortable with that little 17 revolver being attacked by a Rothweiler or a Mt. Lion? Butchbloc is right about throwing you out of the class if you showed up with that. Not to insult you, but you are still very wet behind the ears about self defense calibers. That 380 is way better then a 17 any day. Don't be fooled by shooting small caliber high velocity rounds at soda can. Look what a 220 Swift will do to a soda can. Is it a big game rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Do you know of a .380 that only weighs 5.9 ounces and is only 4 3/4" long? I've already stated that this will be my boot gun. I wear boots every day, and it will stay with me.

Anyways............let's get back to the original question about the big gun por favor. I'm absolutely not getting anything less than a .40 S&W, but probably nothing less than a .45. I know a cop that was transporting a prisoner one day and somehow the guy pulled his Glock 9mm and shot him twice. He was wearing a vest, but the guy shot him both times right in his arm pit and both bullets entered. He said he didn't even realize he had been shot util a minute or two later. After getting out of the hospital, he traded that 9mm for a .45. He said that if couldn't feel it, he didn't want to rely on it for putting down a big guy, since he wasn't very large.

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Eland,

Carry what you have confidence and lots of practice with. HOWEVER, I think I would be derelict if I did not include the following:
DEFINITION:
Handgun/Sidearm- A device designed to afford an individual enough time to locate and arm himself with a weapon.
A handgun of the variety suitable for concealed carry, is actually not that potent of a weapon. Generally speaking, a 44 mag generates about half the energy of a 30-30, yet is devistating at close quarters... why? I think Elmer Kieth solved the puzzle long ago in his support of the "Large and Slow" school of thought. In the Korean war UN troops carrying 9mm pistols discovered the quilted winter jackets worn by the chinese would stop or deflect this round... why? Bullet mass was not sufficient at that velocity to punch through WOVEN FIBER! If you start with the idea that no matter what, you're not going to get the penetration you want from a handgun, the next best option is having something as wide as possible to improve your chances oof smashing or severing something important. The 17 certainly has speed but its mass is unacceptable. Raabbits and squirrels arent that thick... I do a lot of ground hog hunting in PA and a buddy once brought along his 17 rimfire. Just this increase in body size rendered the 17 undependable at best and dismal in our observation at hogs just 20 meters away. If I had to take a guess, the 17 would be hard-pressed to get past a leather jacket or vest. Like I said though, if you're confident in the weapon enough to bet your or your loved ones life on it, that's what you need to carry...confidence and state of mind will take you a long, long way. ... just my thoughts. Oh yeah, another thing to remember... single stacks are easier and more comfortable to conceal... have you ever considered a Para-Carry?

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Steve Morgan:
I've tried several and have stopped looking since I got a Kahr pm9. It's flat and small enough to carry in a front pocket holster that looks like a wallet. Very easy to carry every day.

Agreed. The real test of having and using a CCW permit is carrying the gun. Most tire of lugging around the 1911's or the like - even the compacts. The Kahr is a pleasure to carry, accurate and tough enough for close encounters; if not the PM9 look at the PM45. coffee

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a .45 colt, either a commander or a full size combat weapon..I want a trigger job, throated, open the port and a lightly fitted barrel bushing..

I like colts std.long barrel as I always carried my gun in my waist butt forward on the right side over my kidney and the long barrel gun stayed there...the compacts will fall out. My job was such that a holster was taboo.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote