New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRESCRIPTION GLASSES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be ordering precsription glasses for trap shooting and wondered if that focal length would be the same for handgun shooting with or without optics...i.e. red dot. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you, smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're supposed to be focusing your eyes on the target . The bead is seen in the periferal vision and is out of focus !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep realize that mete. My question was can that same focal length be used to shoot hand gun with red dot optics. I'm kind of thinking should work.....probably need to ask the lens maker. Thanks, smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
mete is right. With scopes and red dots you can use your regular rx. For pistol you will need a rx that lets you focus on the front sight.
I had those made about a year ago and they work great. If the doctor will let you bring your gun in, thats fine. If not you will need a measurement from your eye to the front sight.
Theres a lot of info at this site. Also if you do a search you can come up with a bunch of info.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18008
Those old eyes make us work a little harder.
Good luck!

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mbirdm, thanks for the eye site......... Wink. That was a bad one....couldn't help it. Much good info there. Thanks again, smoker

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prescription glasses, with the possible exception of bi-focals and tri-focals, focus at about 2 feet. More or less --

From 2 feet out to infinity. When you're looking through binoculars, a camera range finder, microscope, rifle scopes, etc, you focus using the "distance" lens in bi-focals. So shooting with prescription lenses shouldn't create any "issues" with respect to focus.

They're going to focus for you at "working" distances -- which is about 2 feet, more or less.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Smoker, I just got an intermediate focus set of glasses because I can no longer see my pistol sights and the target. It is like being 20 years old once again. I had my Eye DR do the pair with my correct distance perscription in my NON master eye, and the "intermediate focus" for my master eye. Works like a charm. Also able to shoot iron sights again on the rifles, or shotguns... life is renewed.

Upstate NY for the moment

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote