THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    An interesting 44 mag Blackhawk

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting 44 mag Blackhawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I really liked my older 3 screw Blackhawk with one exception; that damned square trigger guard. Beat the devil out of my ring finger.

The revolver had been sent many years ago to Bowen who did some extensive work for me.
cut barrel to 5.5", tuned, trigger, his sights, steel ejector, etc.

Getting tired of the finger issue I was in Flagstaff and left it with Gary Reeder
to re configure the trigger guard and while it was there to add his steel "gunfighter" frame, using my original wood grips....

What a difference it made shooting it....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice but in a hundreds years some one well be complaining on how he could ruin such a fine old gun like that. stir

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
stir no worries, you won't be around.. rotflmo

And, not to break into your fantasy about what is "fine," there is nothing finer than a revolver that has had two masters enhance it.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having modified lots of guns to fit my needs I think it is a good idea

There are some that have real fits over it Big Grin

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Having modified lots of guns to fit my needs I think it is a good idea

There are some that have real fits over it Big Grin

Thanks for that...I am very pleased with the result, and shooting it with heavier loads is a pleasure....

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I had one of those a long time ago also. I do remember the beating that the fingers would take from some stiff loads with that squared trigger guard, particularly the 180 grain superfasters.

I would like to hear more about the "gunfighter" frame.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Check on the Reeder Custom Guns web site.....for lack of a better description it is a modified Bisley. I favor the Bisley grip and on this revolver it handles very well....

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Very nice well thought out pistol.

tu2

A short barreled packing pistol SBH is on my bucket list of guns to buy.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Bill! I have a Reeder Custom Long Colt Hunter in 5.5" and love it. The gunfighter grip is very comfortable and seems to mitigate a certain amount of recoil. I sure like mine.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Remember before the "Super Blackhawk" came out there was the standard Blackhawk in 44 magnum, and this model had a fluted cylinder and a ROUND trigger guard.

I have owned new model bisleys that handled recoil well. I have always wanted the first old model Ruger 44 magnum with the round trigger guard as I have an old model in 357 that is as slick handling as an old colt peacemaker.

I believe the earlier rugers were a bit smaller than the super blackhawk as well so recoil may be worse.

Either way, I agree on the squared trigger guard. I think it's an abortion. I've never liked it for aesthetic reasons and also for your reasons listed above. Notice freedom arms 454s, etc all have rounded trigger guards and are all the better for it...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote