Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Single Six Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
I am pondering a Ruger Single Six purchase. Have access to a .22rf/.22Mag version with 8" barrel , and a .22Rf only with 5 1/2" barrel.

How much effect does that extra couple of inches have on the balance of the gun when comparing barrel length? The interchangeable cylinder is a bonus but is the longer barrel too unwieldy in a real-world usage sense?

Thanks in advance.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the longer barrels to be very unwieldy, especially when lugging the thing around! The longer barrel might help with the velocity of the 22 mag round which does lose a lot when shot from a shorter barrel. I have the same gun with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. From a rest, the longer barrel should give better accuracy using open sights, but you could achieve the same result with a red dot or scope for hunting or plinking.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of convertibles or of long barrels for a .22. I would stay with 5.5 in .22 LR. If you are going to buy a new one, look at the new single ten....a great little revolver and the ten shot cylinder is a real plus.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 22 mag is a bit larger diameter than 22 lr, so you seldom get good accuracy firing a lr in a mag gun. However in your case it might be wise to get the longer barrel. it'll get the aussie fans a bit further away while you beat them over the head with it Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My Single Six has a 6.5" barrel on a Stainless set up and I've found great accuracy with it in the .22lr mode and when hunting find the 6.5" barrel to be a plus.

It's not a Colt but it's close.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents , appreciate the input. Pretty much confirmed my original thoughts on barrel length , although I confess Butch did approach it from an angle I had given much thought to.. Smiler

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my Single Six for over 20 yrs. It is in the 5 1/2" and is very accurate in both. I really love it. Point and shoot. Bang, flop.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap butch I didn't read the last of your post. LOL!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Went for the 8 1/2 barrel version with 2 cylinders. Also scored a holster off a nice guy on GB , and am just waiting for a fine weekend to go try it out .

May yet need it for defence purposes the way I seem to attract unfriendly Aussies over in the NZ/Aussie forum ..haha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't examined the new Ruger Single Six Convertibles, but I had a very old mode Super Single Six. The the 22 magnum was setup on the old ones was that the cylinder had a choke in it to size the larger diameter 22 magnum bullet before entering the barrel. So the barrel dimensions were purely 22 rimfire. With that said the revolver was very accurate with 22 rimfire and the magnums weren't too shabby for accuracy out of it. It's easy to look at the magnum cylinder and see if they still use the choke or if they have continued making them the old way.

If I had a choice between the two barrel lengths you mentioned I'm opt for the 5 1/2 because it would pack around better.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
In a perfeck world I would have gone for the 5 1/2 or 6 inch barrel too , but down here these things arent exactly dime a dozen so its more a case of whats on offer .

I have yet to fire the wee beasty , although I have discovered it was made in 1976