Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Python Tune-Up
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
I have a Python that I acquired second hand. This gun shoots quite well but I think it has had a fair amount of use.

I do, however, have to keep the firing pin spotlessly clean or I start getting missfires but I am also suspicious of the hammer spring and do not know if someone has fiddled with it in the past.

What I want to know is whether there is a spring tune-up kit available for the Python, from someone like Wolff.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's going to be tough to get an un-altered V-spring for the Colt Python. You might try Ron Power's site, I think Power Custom or something like that. You could also try Brownell's since they have pistol and revolver parts. Of course, if you're lucky, you might even get a V-spring from Colt.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natchez used to carry the Trapper spring kit for the Python, but it's not listed anymore. You might try contacting Trapper.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You may also want to watch the grip screws . On some style grips if the screws are to tight the trigger spring will rub the side of the grip causing the round not to go off . This happened on my Anaconda. I bought a heavier spring before I figured out what was happening.
I just keep the grip screws just tight enough so the grips dont move.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

I have located a trapper kit and have ordered it today, so we'll see what that does.

Also, I will keep an eye on the grip screws, too.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote