New
Find
Notify
Tools

JUDGE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the max operating pressure for the Taurus Judge?

Can +p loads be used in it?

Thanks,

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely no.

For instance, here is a comment from the Corbon web site:

"What’s the story behind COR®BON’s non-SAAMI spec. 45 Colt +P and 45-70 Govt. +P loads?
COR®BON’s 45 Colt +P ammunition is not suitable for all guns. It should NEVER be fired in old guns, especially Colt single action army revolvers or clones thereof.

We use these criteria: Any Model gun that is also offered in .44 magnums will handle COR®BON’s 45 Colt +P loads. This cartridge may be used in modern hunting revolvers such as Ruger’s “Black Hawk”, and “Red hawk”, Freedom Arms revolver, The Colt “Anaconda”, and the Thompson Center “Contender”. "

And Buffalo Bore specifically addresses the Judge in their FAQ:

"2. Can I shoot your +P 45 colt ammo in my Taurus Judge?

No. The Judge is not designed to be strong enough to use +P ammo. If you'd like to use very powerful loads in the Judge, use our items 3E and 3F. These two loads are safe to use in ANY 45 colt firearm and are much more powerful than ordinary 45 colt ammo. These two loads are also much more powerful than 410 gauge slug loads you can fire in the Judge."

If you need further convincing, I suggest you contact Corbon or Buffalo Bore and ask their tech staff what their opinion is:
Corbon Ammo
Buffalo Bore

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote