New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 686 or 686 plus
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at stainless 2.5" or 4" models, 357 mag. This will be a night stand type gun, also for the range or something handy in the car/truck. Any reason not to go with the 7 shot? Does the 2.5" have a full length extractor? Any other makers have something close I should not overlook? Thanks

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty expensive for a "night stand" or "truck" gun. Why not just get a Taurus?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah that is a little price for a nightstand gun. No reason I can think of not to go with the 7 shot. I'm partial to smith revolvers, so no, i can't think of another manufacturer offering something similar to the 686, i love mine.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There is no down side to the 7shot. If your life is worth $200, buy a $200 pistol. hammering

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
MMS, the 2.5" Smiths have the short ejector rod. As far as 6 vs 7 shooters, for me it is a reloading issue. I'd feel better about shooting the more potent loads through a six shooter. If your gun will be primarily defensive, it's probably not an issue. Don't worry about factory ammo from the majors. SAAMI spec for .357 Magnum factory ammo is 35,000 PSI and usually is not loaded to that pressure limit. Original pressure spec for .357 Magnum is 46,000 C.U.P. which approaches 50,000 PSI. Most of the current hotter data is at around 40,000 C.U.P. If you will only shoot factory ammo, the plus will be fine. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, a plus it will be. Any thoughts on the choice of length? Obviously longer is better on a range, I'm not sure about close quarters though.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
I wish I could say 3", but it's not offered as a standard catalogue item, but this is the barrel length that Smith begins using full length ejectors on. Since the 686 Plus wouldn't be the easiest of revolvers to carry concealed, for me, I'd go 4" for a general purpose revolver. I wouldn't by-pass a used fifth or earlier generation model 65. If you could find one in real good condition, there were runs with 3" barrels and of course the 65 Ladysmith is in the same category. Easier to conceal and much more durable in stainless than the model 13 in blue steel. Actually there is a 3.13" 7 shot L-Frame. The 386 "Mountain Lite" with a scandium frame and titanium cylinder. At 18.5
oz. it would be light to pack; recoil is another matter! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you look at a Model 66 with a three inch barrel. I have one a Lou Horton. Pretty nice and very accurate.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makeminestainless:
Looking at stainless 2.5" or 4" models, 357 mag. This will be a night stand type gun, also for the range or something handy in the car/truck. Any reason not to go with the 7 shot? Does the 2.5" have a full length extractor? Any other makers have something close I should not overlook? Thanks

I don't see "concealed carry" in the mix here. For night-stand, truck/car, and range, go with a "standard barrel" 4". That's a workable length for general purpose.

Smith uses full-length ejectors in 3" bbl. and longer. That said, I've never had any "issues" with my J-Frame snub, Mod. 60. Tip the cylinder back and the shell cases fall right out, into your hand or into the container on the bench.

Seven round -- sounds like a "bastard" cylinder to me. Speed loaders, and the leather/accessories for speed loaders are designed fo 6 rds. Holsters for a K-frame are readily available in 6 rd. Seven round holsters are going to be "special order." It just sounds like an "odd duck" to me. One more round is of marginal utility. If you can't "get it done" in 6 rounds, then 7 rounds is not going to "bail you out."

I had a Smith 66, "snubby" -- Great gun. 4" bbl. would have been nicer for "utility" which is what you're shopping for. 686 is the same gun with a full-length under-barrel lug. In a snubby that's a marginal distinction. In a longer barrel the lug under might make a difference in rigidity, but I doubt you'd notice.

Ruger makes a nice "K Frame" gun. I like the look of the Smith better than the Rugers, but Ruger cylinder lock-up on the SP has some features to consider. Taurus has been turning out some nice guns lately.

Lots of great K-Frames available used. I rarely buy new guns. Guns are like "dating" -- You get excited for six months or a year, then on to something else. Used guns are "new" for the most part, and someone changed their mind.

I've figured out what I'm interested in, and my "used" purchases are all just like new.

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
QUOTE: "I had a Smith 66, "snubby" -- Great gun. 4" bbl. would have been nicer for "utility" which is what you're shopping for. 686 is the same gun with a full-length under-barrel lug. In a snubby that's a marginal distinction. In a longer barrel the lug under might make a difference in rigidity, but I doubt you'd notice. I had a Smith 66, "snubby" -- Great gun. 4" bbl. would have been nicer for "utility" which is what you're shopping for. 686 is the same gun with a full-length under-barrel lug. In a snubby that's a marginal distinction. In a longer barrel the lug under might make a difference in rigidity, but I doubt you'd notice.

Ruger makes a nice "K Frame" gun. I like the look of the Smith better than the Rugers, but Ruger cylinder lock-up on the SP has some features to consider. Taurus has been turning out some nice guns lately."

Not quite. The 686 is an L-Frame which is larger than the K-frame. The Clylinder is also larger in diameter with thicker walls between the cylinders. L-Frames are made for a steady diet of full power .357 Magnum ammo. K-Frames are not. The Ruger GP-100 has a cylinder that is similar in size to the L-Frame Smith, but the frame is a bit beefier. Even the older Security Six had a heavier frame than a K-Frame Smith and the cylinder diameter was the same as that used by Colt .357 Magnums.

JJ included what I omitted. I should have said 65/66. Even with 3" barrels these guns are very accurate. CC - 65 to prevent snags, Non CC - 66 for the adjustable sights. 4" is a great all around length, so is 5" if you can find one. Some GP-100s were made with 5" barrels a couple of years back. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that in almost any self defense situation the action will be over before 7, 6 or even 5 shot guns run dry. That being said, I don't see where an extra round left over is a problem. I guess I just talked myself out of worrying over long or short extractors. Reloading under stress just isn't going to happen. Short extractors at the range are a pretty minor annoyance.

The barrel length issue is in reference to a lot of print out there about long barrels giving someone leverage in a close encounter. Having never struggled for a gun I don’t know how big of a deal this is. I have walked through my house and around the yard with a gun more than once when I’ve heard a noise. It’s never turned out to be anything, but if it had I could see a struggle ensuing.

The main advantage I see in not using this gun for concealed carry is the spur hammer and adjustable sights are not a big liability for snagging on the draw from a bedside quick safe or a car console.

Thanks for all the comments. I tend to over analyse things like this. Sometimes I think I should just flip a coin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My girl friend and I discussed this the other day when we were window shopping at a gun show. She wants a revolver she can keep under her pillow when home alone as she is worried about waking up with someone in the room or on top of her in bed. Hopefully the hound dog puppy will do its job and wake her up first but she is crate training it....
Anyhow she likes my S&W 649 .357 but since it will be under the pillow I would just as soon she have the heavier K or L frame revolver with a short barrel. Since she won't be reloading the 2.5" barrel is fine and it would probably get laser grips as well. I know the potential downfalls of a laser and bad habits but we are talking point shooting distances and there is an intimidation value there. My big problem with the 686+ (no reason here not to have 7 rounds) is the key lock. There have been a number of cases of problems with rapid fire and I don't know if I can track down a 686+ without the lock. I will probably get her a 3" fixed sight GP100 (I don't think they do laser grips for it though) instead as it is a quality revolver that will just need a good trigger job. I don't mind used guns and you can get trade in GP100's for pretty cheap.

editted to clarify point about the laser

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the pillow is a BAD idea for storing a security gun. If she's worried about intruders, she can rig alarms on the doors and windows to her room -- in addition to alarms in the rest of the house.

But a gun in bed with a sleeping person is a recipe for getting shot.

I have a 629 in the night stand, UNLOADED, with a speed loader. I want to be certain that I'm fully awake and functional before I have a loaded gun in my hand.

A dog can easily be trained to make noise at the instant anyone is moving around outside.

An atty. friend of mine was taking the notorious Ambien and found evidence that she'd been up in the middle of the night, left notes on her desk, went downstairs, opened the fridge, left food out on the counter.

She doesn't remember any of it.

I've had dreams that I'd taken the pistol out of the night stand and loaded it. Bad idea to have a gun in bed when you're sleeping! Deadly dangerous -- OK, and stupid too.