New
Find
Notify
Tools

Size of BFR Revolver?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for revolvers that chamber the 480 ruger. The BFR looks nice, but I'm not sure how big of a gun this thing is. The only BFR I've seen in person is the 45-70, and that is way bigger than I would like to carry. would the 480/475 frame be a decent size smaller than the gigantic 45-70. I really need to see the gun in person though.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that caliber and other calibers shorter than a 45/70, the revolver will be about the same size as a Ruger SBH or BH.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The BFR in 475/480 is about the same as the Ruger SBH, the top strap is thicker and the whole gun is abit heavier than the Super Blackhawk or Bisley. The extra weight does help to tame the recoil though. One interesting thing about the BFR is they measure the barrel length from the front of the frame. So my 6.5" 475 is actually closer to 7.25". If you go to the Magnum Research site, you can buy different front sights, grips and scope bases for them. I found mine used on Gunbroker for under $700.
I also have the 45-70 BFR and it is just under 5 lbs which is definatly more than I want to pack around.
The Taurus Raging Bull is chambered in 480. I have one in 454 and it is pretty accurate. 1.5" groups at 50 yds with several loads.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote