Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 9mm ammo
 Login/Join

posted
I have a CZ 75 SP01 and a Springfield 1911 both in 9mm. Currently the CZ shoots best with Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ ammo and the Springfield shoots best with American Eagle 147gr FMJ. Has anyone worked up reloads that work well. I have been able to get about 2 inch groups (best) with 5 shots from both guns, resting on preditor rest. I am trying to see if I can get a more accurate ammo by reloading or if I should just stick to what I have now. The Speer was $9.50 a box of 50 and the Ameriucan Eagle was $10.50 for a box of 50.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
2" groups at what distance? I have found the Hornady 124gr XTPs under Unique have been extremely accurate. I have shot several 1"-1.5" groups at 15yds w/o a rest. I doubt you find factory that shoots better than handloads taylored for your pistols. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The distance that I shot was 25 yards. 2 inch is about the best I can get if I do my part.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's good shooting for any factory pistol/ammo combo. I doubt you can better that w/o tuning the pistol a bit.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I just didn't know if trying to work up a load is worth it. From what I saw in terms of bullet prices it doesn't look like I would really save much money if I did reload and if the difference was marginal it's just not worth the effort. I did find ammo cheapest at midsouth shooters.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ypu can load high grade ammo for $6-$7/50, that's about like surplus ammo, but you'll usually get better ammo handloading. You don't save as much w/ the 9mm but when you look into 40s&w & 10mm & 45acp, you start saving a ton handloading.