Find
Notify
Tools

I'm a dumb a$$?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted
I have been contemplating what to get for concealled carry. I was all set to get a SP 101 in 357 as the one i was looking at is fairly light, holds 5 rounds, and has a 3 inch barrel. The only handguns I have ever used have been for hunting and all have been revolvers. I have no experience with semi autos.
My friend called me a dumbass and said to get a glock 45. I need some qualified advice. Confused

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Carry what you can shoot,load fast,clear a jam
etc. If you get an auto shoot it a lot and learn
it well.A sob is just as dead from a 357 as a 45. I think a auto is better and love my Kimber 45 but when you pull either you have no time to
look for the saftey etc. IMHO

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are not a dumbass. There is nothing wrong at all with useing a revolver for carry. Very rarely will a revolver ever jam. Tell your buddy that! I have and do carry both. The only reason I carry a semi-auto is because of it being slimmer when wearing summer atire. I'm small stature and it can make a big difference.

If you are comfortable with a revolver...by all means use one. It will be more natural for you to use vs. having to learn different techniques requires for shooting the semi-autos. It isn't that much of a difference but does require a different training regimen.

Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In your case, I'd stick with what I know and like, the revolver. Hits are what count, not how many rounds or how fast they can be shot. I just bought a decent used Smith 19 with a short barrel for under $300. It carries nicely.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Glock 26 with a Crimson Trace Laser grip and will never go back to a revolver.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of places to learn how to shoot your autoloader. You'll need to learn to access your weapon, clearing jams, tactical reloads and shooting it so your assailant will be disabled. Whichever route you take, definitely take the time to get proper instruction on defensive shooting.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have carried autos and revolvers on the job for going 30 years a good revolver is nothing to worry about.

The only time a auto is superior to a revolver is if you need more then 5 or 6 rounds. Then some hold 7 to 9.

I still carry revolvers weekly.

The most important thing a CCW gun needs is to be with you when you need it.

So if you like the sp 101 and well carry more that's the one you need.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surplus PSP loaded with Federal 'Classic' 115gr JHPs.
I looked at couple of those fugly "Blocks". I was shocked at the $500 tag for a pistol that cost about $50 to make. I would not pay $200 for that thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
join the crowd of dumb bunnies, the one i carry most is still an old colt detective

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a 2.25" SP101 357mag it will be my choice for a Conceal Carry. It will stack the bullets at 20ft if I do my part and it won't jamb.

Dumb a$$ I don't think so.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best gun for concealed carry is the one that you always have on you, and that you can hit consistently with. Recently on the TV Show Shooting Gallery, they featured a concealed carry instructor and former Secret Service agent by the name of Walt Rauch. His opinion is that the snubby revolver, with the right loads and training, is a very good concealed carry option, especially since it is easy to carry. If you already have the muscle memory of shooting many revolvers, you should stick with what you know.

And as for your "friend", when you get proficient with whatever weapon you select, challenge him to a side-by-side target shoot. Dumbass you are not.

One of my favorites that I USED to shoot is my S&W Model 13 .357 with a 3" barrel, shooting 125gr .357's or 158gr, 38's. This makes me want to break it out and start using it again.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm also a fan of the 2.25" sp101. You are not likely to ever need your ccw, & if you do, it's not a fire fight, it's a shoot & scoot. I would feel ok w/ 5rds of 357 & 5rd reload for 90% of CCW situations.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, even if you miss the miscreant by nano-fractions of an inch, you'll have scared the shit out of him as he'll have about a 6" diameter of burnt clothing and soot all over. Just the ball of fire from the muzzle blast will at least deafen him for quite a while. animal animal

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
Here comes my K.I.S.S. theorey
a trigger you can pull
sights you can see
a grip you can hold.

Jeffrey WIlson N.R.A. Life Member
Kimber CDP II 1911
Because shooting someone with something other than a .45 is such a waste of time...they might live ?!!?!?
Custom A.R. Built by Mr. D. It is nice to reach out and touch someone at a 1000 yards.
Criminals rely on the kindness & pity of society.

Posts: 14 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote