New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity of a ported .44 mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would the velocity of a 2 inch barrel .44 mag decrease much if the barrel was ported?

thanks..

Posts: 304 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The vel lost would be about the same as if you cut 1 in off of the barrel.

Personaly I have no desirer to shoot a 2 inch 44 mag.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that the biggest loss would be the disirability to shoot it....

Bart

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the .44 Mag to carry when I go fishing in Alaska. I've never shot it. It's there for protection only. So it's not a gun I'd go shooting with. I guess it might not be worth having it ported if it becomes too loud.

Posts: 304 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frist thing you should do is shoot it . I shoot my protection guns lots more then my hunting guns. Stuff some good 300 gr hard cast in it and take it out and shoot it.

How do you even know you can place a cly full into a bear. Iam all for carrying a gun for protection but one really needs to know what one can do with it.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Depends on the porting, MagnaPort loses less than some of the hole drilled butcher types. If you haven't shot it what makes you think it needs porting anyway? For that matter, how do you know it will even go bang? homer Like pdog said, any gun I carry for protection from bears or 2 legged varmints, I get to know quite intimately. You need to get it sorted out before the crap hits the fan, not during. Go start shooting it w/ some 240gr/8gr Unique loads & get used to it. After each session, fire a cylinder of 300gr/16gr 2400. Make sure you can actually hit anything w/ it, otherwise you are just carrying a noise maker. shame Sorry to be so blunt, but you are giving yourself a false sense of security.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sormi:
I use the .44 Mag to carry when I go fishing in Alaska. I've never shot it. It's there for protection only. So it's not a gun I'd go shooting with. I guess it might not be worth having it ported if it becomes too loud.

Well the loss in MV will be trivial in that short a barrel. But unless you are wearing hearing protection while your fishing the damage to your ears may not be.

Mommy look at the big bear sneaking up on the man fishing with his ear muffs. lol

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old saying in Alaska about the .44 Mag's recoil when used as a bear gun...it hurts worse when the bear shoves it up your ass, just before he eats you.

44 Mag will kill an undisturbed big bear nicely.....they don't STOP charging bears nearly as well. Carry a big rifle with good bullets...if you are really afraid of brown bears...best thing is to just stay away from them....it is their stream and their cubs!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote