Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 4 Glock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
Has anybody with real experience in the new gen 4 GLOCK ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was at my last Glock armorers school they had some Gen 4s 22's there I was impressed with grips and new grip finsh.

I think the double recoil springs will be a improvement.

Haven't shot them yet are 500 man dept is going to them as soon as the money comes available.

If I didn't have 4 gen 2s and 3s laying around I most likely would buy the gen 4s

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 9mm and a 40 SW, more cosmetic changes than anything else. Nicer slide finish than before. Looks like the saving of using subcontractors for part of the milling process has been spent in a better looking finish.

Caracal pistols and Glock compared.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 4 Model 17 but have only shot around 50 rounds through it so far. It's so cold here that getting out to shoot isn't that much fun.

I put on the additional back-strap to build up the grip size and that took a while to line up the holes for the plastic pin. It shot ok with the sights a little off for me and that will have to remedied with a sight in session off the bags when it gets warmer. The trigger pull seemed a little crisper than a 19 that I have.... not lighter just a whisper more crisp. I like the dimple design on the grips and that is also more pronounced on the large back-strap. The total feel of the grip is a lot more towards getting your hand as high as possible in the frame which is desirable. I had no FTF or FTE with 115 grain FMJ Federal ammo. Apparently the G19 G4 has a stiff recoil spring in it and some of them struggle with low weight low power rounds as far as functioning.

In the package you get 3 17 round magazines along with a loading tool that doesn't work that great. But having 2 extra mags probably adds about $60 of retail value to the set.

The whole gun looks finished better and is a much darker black than before. Looks great. I think it's going to be a winner after 300 more rounds down the tube.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen4 model 22 in .40. It shoots well, comes with 15 round magazines in France, which means it's also a good IPSC production division pistol in major. In fact, I can't think of any other carry pistol which is also a good IPSC pistol in a major power caliber, since in France you're limited to 15 rounds in IPSC production division.

No need to buy a different pistol for the sporting events.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Glock 19 Gen4 last month. I have put around 500 rounds through it so far without any problems. Mostly with Winchester 115g FMJ. I like the grip on the gen4 better than the gen3 witch is what sold me on getting the gen4. So far I'm very happy with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Has anybody with real experience in the new gen 4 GLOCK ?

I don't have one but have been checking from time to time on some of the nationally (world-wide?) known trainer forums (mostly getofthex.com by Tactical Response) and there seemed to be some concern over the new recoil spring setup during extended firing during their training classes. The consensus seems that most are sticking with the Gen 3's for the time being.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i much prefer the gen 8 gluck, oops, Big Grin that's a 1911

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i much prefer the gen 8 gluck, oops, Big Grin that's a 1911

Thats a good one......

I own glocks..... never liked the original grips, but recent ones are much more ergo friendly.... that being said, that cheese grater grip on the gen 4 seems like it would take skin off pretty easily.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Went to an indoor range, due to the colder windy weather lately, and put more rounds down the Gen 4 Model 17.

Keeping the rounds in the head area of a silhouette target at 20 yards offhand was not a problem at all thanks to the "cheese grater" grips. They are adjustable with 3 different settings for different size hands. I was able to keep almost all of the rounds in the silhouette body at 25 yards firing fast fire at 25 yards.

I'm really liking the grip angle that I adjusted mine to that makes it fit so well. I'm liking and shooting this Glock better than a Gen 2 Model 19 which I thought was swell.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 2 that shoots fantastic but really like the new Gen 4. I am considering adding one more to the corral very soon.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote